The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So after much reading, threads, debate, time, and hard decisions I finally picked up a halogen shop light with two 150 watt bulbs. I realize that a lot of that wattage will be used up in the form of heat energy, but I ran out of options. I know that a lot of the light will not be going straight into the light, but I don't need it to. I'll post pictures of the tank after I have it all done.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Why couldn't you use a flourescent shoplight? A 64 watt t-8 shoplight is cheaper and brighter, and costs way less to run.
I know that halogens were not as efficient but I didn't know they were *that* inefficient!!!The highest wattage fluorescent shop lights they had there would give me under two watts per gallon.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
::sigh:: back to the drawing board:icon_redf :icon_cry:

I have a question. I have a hood from a 29gallon that is outfitted to run two incandescent light bulbs. Can I just buy two CF spirual bulbs, of the highest wattage I can find, from walmart and put them into the hood? Will this work?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
You can get bulbs around 25 watts each. They are at best 50% efficient. That means that if you get two bulbs you are going to get about 25 watts or so into the tank in the best case scenario.

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
I doubt you can find 85 watt spiral bulbs.

You have to look at the florescent watts and not the wattage of the incandescent bulb they replace.

A common 15 watt spiral CF bulb will replace a 60 watt incandescent bulb. But for our use you have a 15 watt bulb.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Ok. I went to walmart today. The highest wattage CF bulb I could find was 42watts. This was the watts of the actual CF bulb not the incandescent bulb it would be replacing. You said earlier that they are only 50% efficient. Meaning that only 21 watts would be usable of the 42watt CF bulb?

·
Registered
362 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
ah supply is your best option!

I think the poster is trying to be price conscious.

In addition to the home depot options maybe try some of the hydroponics stores. And ebay stores.

Since you don't seem to be worried too much about cosmetics it seems that you can save alot of money at some of those stores. Maybe google the length of fixture and type and amount of bulbs you are looking for. I found alot of cheaper options that way. You just don't get the sleek enclosures.

Also, check Truvu. They have empty enclosures for retrofits. It's funny how all these places sell retrofit kits, but they don't sell enclosures because then you could just build your own for half the cost.

I'm trying to find some more enclosure options for retrofitting, but that was the first one I came across.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I think the poster is trying to be price conscious.
Yes, I am. I'm a poor college student on disability. Can't work or drive right now. Therefore, I can't just go out and buy the top-notch $200 lighting system and another $200 on pressurized CO2. I just want to be able to keep my plants alive and propagate them. My budget is $40 for light total. That's it! That's all I have. The AH kits are around $118 for what I would need, without shipping. Unfortunately, it's not an option for me. I think I'm just going to have to buy two shop light fixtures and put those over my tank. I saw a fixture that housed two T8 40watt bulbs. So I could get 160watts of light total, even though I realize that that amount wouldn't be going into my tank. Oh well.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.