The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We spend so much time focusing on perfecting and photographing our aquascapes, but I'm curious to see the environments surrounding the planted tanks we work so hard to show off here. Where do you view your tanks from? Do you have a favourite chair to sit in and watch your fish?

Keen to see the ways that people have integrated their planted masterpieces with their decor!

This is a thread to post photos of your tanks within the environment of your home/office/whatever.

I'll go first with the two tanks in my living room. I use a bookshelf for the 45P and Mini-M tanks I've got set up here. It works quite well and I can observe them both from either the sofa or my (replica) Eames lounge chair.

A few things I need to sort out - cabling and power boards are a bit messy and I should probably attach them to the wall to the side of the shelves with drip loops. Looking at these pics I realise that I also really need to clean my inlet and outlet pipes!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love it. The nice clean lines and the functionality of the room. I bet you wish that AC unit wasn't there.

Here is my office.

You have no idea how much I hate that AC unit (except on hot summer days here when it's over 40C/104F). I want to replace it with a more modern split system in a better location at some point .

Does your tank ever distract you from working in your office? :)

Your tank looks a little psychedelic ;)

·
Registered
691 Posts
Locus, it never distracts because i normally face away from it. Just when i need a break i spin the chair.

The tank looks very psychedelic because it has been photoshopped So its obscured as it will be entered in contests this year.

Filipem, you need an odd number of guitars and then arrange them in iwagumi style on the wall.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
Good thread, those are some nice setups that enhance their surroundings. I don't have to many pics of my setups, showing other parts of the house, but I'll contribute these two small ones (not currently setup anymore.) One was in the pantry/kitchen area and the other is in the bedroom. I'm working on one in the mancave, but have been distracted of late and I keep putting it off.

·
Banned
5,942 Posts
@houseofcards haha, I really like that tiny cube with the giant "sun" right above it :)
Any algae issues in there?
It really was like a little "Sun". It was an 13w or 18w CF bulb on a 0.5 gallon candlestick holder, with the displacement was probably only around .25 gallons.

I think it was only on for a few hours a day. The plants did really well and there wasn't an algae problem.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
I have two types of tanks. There are the work tanks where I let the fish breed and growout. Those are in a backroom pretty much out of sight and few pictures taken. The tank I like most is in a formal dining room that gets little use but does make a nice place to watch fish as it is open to a living area where I have my morning coffee.
At first I thought of building into the wall but I've never really liked the permanent nature of those. When I came across the tank at a bargain price and wondered how to make something out of the "sow ear", I came up with building a different type stand and canopy than most I had built.
I wanted to have a "built-in" look without doing the real deal. I also wanted to cover the corners of the tank and top trim. The canopy is a single piece which lifts off if I wanted to move it. Then there is a "surround" piece that fits over the corners and down to the stand. It can all be lifted off a piece at a time when moving. It serves me and the fish very well except for one major problem! There are large windows in front and to the side which make very hard to get a good picture without lots of reflections. I really like it when I dim the lights and set to watch them all begin to calm down.

This is what I came up with:

·
Registered
806 Posts
@bereninga Very nice! Got more up-close pics of the scapes? They look great
Thanks! They're in my journals (in my signature). But here are the inks to posts w/ photos in them:

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9004705-post71.html

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8985129-post68.html

I'm actually going to be taking down my Fluval Edge soon for a new tank. I just can't take that little hole at the top anymore! Hehe

Can't wait to see other people's tank spaces!

·
Registered
323 Posts
Awesome I have always wanted to see how people have their tanks at home.

I just moved into my house a few months ago so it's not done yet and I am currently sinking drift wood for a 180g discus tank (don't have canopy on right now) so it's not set up yet but here's what I got so far.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,990 Posts
These scapes make me extremely jealous that I've never able to keep up something super clean like these scapes. It gives me motivation :D.
Personally, I'm feeling like I'll never be able to keep my scapes or my house that super clean! :help::hihi:

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
It's funny sometimes, how we each feel about looking at what others have done. I had a job which required me to go through other people's houses and it always drove my wife a bit insane. She was doing custom décor and her thing was what others were doing to decorate while my interest was pretty much just the mechanical stuff. That left her asking me what colors were used, etc. and I was used to walking through a house twenty times and never noting anything like that.
Some will see these pictures and notice the plants, some will notice the fish and some may only see the guitars on the wall or the pets on the floor.

My first thought when looking at one group of pictures is likely to be way off the norm! I checked the shelf and thought about earthquakes and having things fall off on those pretty tanks!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.