The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just planted a 10g tank tonight with low-light plants. The tank will be housing red cherry shrimp. The plants are:

- anubias coffeefolia

- anubias nana

- wisteria

- windelov java ferns

- java moss

- marimo balls

I have a 20" Finnex Stingray LED and a versa-top. I will not be using fertilizers.

I was thinking of running the lights for 6 hours. Too much, too little, just right? I don't mind some algae since the shrimp should eat it, but I certainly don't want the tank to be overrun.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Start at 6 hours for now since the tank is new. Let the plants acclimate and see how they and algae do. If all is well, bump it up by 15 minutes, wait a few days and see how everything reacts. However since your light is intense the photoperiod will probably need to be relatively short (probably 8 hours at most). I would find some way to dim it, such as raising it or using floating plants.

Reactions: Geoff-PA

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have some duckweed. Should I put that in? I was leery about using it because it seemed like it'd be such a mess.

·
Registered
3,329 Posts
Duckweed is like aquatic herpes. Once it's in it's almost impossible to get out. There are plenty of more manageable and more attractive floaters out there. Salvinia and red root floater are two of my favorites.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's a great analogy! I'll forego them. I'll start at 6 hours and keep an eye on things as you suggested. In the meantime, I'll keep an eye out for some floaters. Appreciate the help.

PS - I work in Morris Co.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.