The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have been battling hair algae for some time now and haven't been able to figure it out. Mainly what I am asking for is what others have their colors set on with these lights?

What concerns me is after using the algae nuke method on this forum of h2o2 and excel, the algae stays at bay for nearly a full month... then comes roaring back. The hair algae is also mainly the only type of algae that shows up. I messed with the white light setting only to get green glass algae.

I have not seen many posts on the forum about what settings people have these lights at. Lights also sit on the rim of the tank.

Here are the specs:

Light: Current planted plus PRO model. Currently using the orange function with white turned down (red: 100, green: 50, blue: 0, white: 70)

C02 injection: According to indicator, consistently greenish-yellow

Photoperiod: 5 hours with co2 turning on 1 hour before and ending 1 hour prior to lights off.

Fert dosing: EI dosing macros and micros on opposite days.
Water changes: every 7th day with cold tap and Prime. Clean filters every other week.

pH: 6.7
gh and Kh : both around 70 ppm
Nitrates: pretty much always 0 with the 50% water change every 7 days
Nitrites and ammonia= 0

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I should have specified that nitrates are 0 when I DONT EI dose. The reason i know this is that we were gone all last week and I tested the water before water change yesterday.

My mistake for not clarifying. Otherwise, I EI dose with premixed solution I purchased from a plantedtank member. The ferts seem to work as I get good growth, but algae is there along with it.

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
That light is just too strong for the tank height of 16" which is likely 14" after sub.
I'd drop the red to 50% and the white to 40%. Then the green I would do 20 and 20 on the blue also.
H2O2 and Excel are for removing it. But if the conditions which are causing it remain the algae will be back.

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
are you under the impression that its the light then causing the algae? I figured if it was solely the light, i would have other types also popping up

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.