The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey all,

I need all of you scenery/nature photographers to criticize these photos as harshly as ever. I took all these photos, and YOU MUST NOT share them on other sites, take credit for them, or publish them please!

Now to the actual photos, these are sunset pics that were taken on the bay I live on. Please tell me what you think, which one you think is the best (and why), what I need to improve on, and how I can improve in photography.

Copy and paste this in your address bar to get to the folder in photobucket:

http://s1111.photobucket.com/albums/h474/AliM_Aquatics_and_Herps/

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
I liked #20, because you have a vertical element (the sun's reflection) and graduating diagonals that lead up to your horizontal line = the skyline. I like how the skyline clearly shows the city's buildings, giving a sense of scale and anchoring a location (rather than endless water - which is also nice). All your lines - vertical, diagonal, and horzontal, meet at an apex. The things I wish were different in #20 are the slight overexposure, (a ND filter, or that filter effect would help) and it looks to me like the horizon line is slightly off/tilted. A simple straightening/cropping would help that, if I'm seeing it right.
Good stuff, and I really like those snake pics!

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks for replying. #14 needs to be a lot sharper IMO. lol.

It is a very nice spot to photograph. I also found this little "bluff" right on a yacht club on the bay, about 10 minutes away. How great would that look! A nice sunset with a row of nice yachts and sailboats on each side! I've gotta try that sometime!

·
Registered
807 Posts
I happen to love photography and have been doing it for a long time, so I hope you don't mind if I give some tips :smile: You can view my flickr by clicking on the D7000 or Fujifilm X100 words in my signature, you might have to sort through a lot of "junk" (aka just stuff I take pics of to document life) but there's some cool pictures in there too...

Anyways, a good tip is to make sure everything is within the picture, meaning don't let anything run-off the sides of the frames whenever possible. Commonly referred to as "cutting off" part of the image, it can have a negative impact on the pics, and is especially relevant in landscape photography...

The colors aren't that great, but they're hard to bring out without using professional editing software, so I cant fault you there (Unless you do have lightroom :icon_wink, correct me if you do)

Try not to include too little of a certain subject, for example, in IMG_2765, theres not a lot of beach, and plenty of ocean. For the best impact, there should either be more beach, or just water...this gives maximum impact. An example of this is that IMG_2761 is similar, but it has only water instead of including the small portion of beach. In my opinion, this image has more impact.

If it's okay with you, I'd like to take a couple of your pics and edit them in Adobe Lightroom, and show you how your pics can have more impact when you follow the methods above...let me know, if it's okay I'll get right to it and post them back within 10 minutes....:smile:

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the great tips. Yes you can edit some of my pics in adobe lightroom, just don't use them elsewhere.:icon_smil

I will take all your advice into consideration, and speaking about having all land or all water, I was actually MAYBE going to take some from my canoe if possible.

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
A.M.Aquatics, you're braver than I am! I'm petrified of taking my camera in a canoe or boat - even tho some great shots would be had. My luck, I'd drop it in the water. It's fully insured for replacement, but I'd have to dive for it first! lol

·
Registered
807 Posts
A.M.Aquatics, you're braver than I am! I'm petrified of taking my camera in a canoe or boat - even tho some great shots would be had. My luck, I'd drop it in the water. It's fully insured for replacement, but I'd have to dive for it first! lol
Haha yeah true, there's no way I'd bring my DSLR on a kayak/canoe unless I had insurance, but the OP is using a Canon Powershot, which while not cheap, isn't $2,000 either lol...

·
Registered
700 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
lol. Mine's just a cannon powershot A590is. Without I couldn't live, but I'm willing to do a lot in pursuit of good photos. I was out in a little raft a while ago in this bay, and suddenly a group of porpoises appeared right beside me. At first It scared the heck out of me! I would've dropped the camera if I was holding it at that moment!

·
Registered
2,757 Posts
LOL - I can picture that in my mind's eye... : ) I would've fallen off the raft.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.