The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 22 gallon tank consumes a great deal of phosphates, even though it is not heavily planted. I've checked the PO4 level with both the Salifert and API test kits and get the same result. My nitrates are bit high at around 30 ppm.

I've been dosing Seachem Flourish Phosphorus every 2-3 days to get to 1ppm level (amount according to their online calculator for the product). Within two days, it's back to zero. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Seachem Flourish contains 0.3% Fe. Do you dose Flourish and Flourish Phosphorus on the same day? Usually dosing these two fertilizers back to back causes them to precipitate in the tank. I've seen mixed discussions on it, some say it's okay to dose both because precipitation happens in higher concentrations, while others are way against it. Try dosing on different days and see if there's a positive effect.

Seachem Flourish contains 0.3% Fe. Do you dose Flourish and Flourish Phosphorus on the same day? Usually dosing these two fertilizers back to back causes them to precipitate in the tank. I've seen mixed discussions on it, some say it's okay to dose both because precipitation happens in higher concentrations, while others are way against it. Try dosing on different days and see if there's a positive effect.
I just realized you meant Flourish Phosphorus and not Flourish AND Flourish Phosphorus. In that case, someone may have a better answer.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Are you using an active substrate?
substrate is Seachem flourite.

I just realized you meant Flourish Phosphorus and not Flourish AND Flourish Phosphorus. In that case, someone may have a better answer.
Actually I do dose Flourish about once a week, but not necessarily on the same day as phosphorus.

·
Registered
667 Posts
It shows around 1.0 to 1.5 ppm. But back to zero next day or day after.
It’s clear your phosphate is being chemically removed, not biologically. It’s not from your inert substrate, and your rockwork appears to be limestone, which would not form an insoluble precipitate. But what? I’m at a loss.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It’s clear your phosphate is being chemically removed, not biologically. It’s not from your inert substrate, and your rockwork appears to be limestone, which would not form an insoluble precipitate. But what? I’m at a loss.
Actually my rocks are dragon stone, which I believe are inert.

My canister filter contains both Purigen and Activated Carbon, and I guess it's possible it is being removed there, but I've been adding a lot of phosphorus and hard to believe these two medias have adsorbed that much.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Actually my rocks are dragon stone, which I believe are inert.

My canister filter contains both Purigen and Activated Carbon, and I guess it's possible it is being removed there, but I've been adding a lot of phosphorus and hard to believe these two medias have adsorbed that much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
My 22 gallon tank consumes a great deal of phosphates, even though it is not heavily planted. I've checked the PO4 level with both the Salifert and API test kits and get the same result. My nitrates are bit high at around 30 ppm.

I've been dosing Seachem Flourish Phosphorus every 2-3 days to get to 1ppm level (amount according to their online calculator for the product). Within two days, it's back to zero. Has anyone else experienced something similar?

View attachment 1031279
----------------

Question: I have an API Phosphate (PO4) test kit and I usually keep my levels around 0.5. I am under the impression to NOT think about Phosphate alone but as a ratio generally of 1 part to 10 parts Nitrogen. One problem I have with the API test kit is that the Color Card shades between 0.0, 0.25, and 0.5 look so close and not that different. The 1.0 shade is quite different. NPK macros.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I don't know anything about iron and phosphorus precipitating out, but I've read that Flourite Red is high in iron. Some people use it specifically for that reason.

·
Registered
87 Posts

----------------

I just want to make sure you realize the value 1.0 ppm is NOT set in stone that a planted tank has to remain at that level or higher. Check out the link below.
Phosphate in Freshwater Aquariums (thesprucepets.com)

There are quite a few other sources suggesting 0.5 ppm Phosphate levels can be considered in the recommended range in a planted tank.
Realize if phosphate levels achieve 1.0 ppm or go higher, there is also a greater chance of increased algae growth which can decrease the oxygen levels for any fish in the tank. Over the past 2 years, my 30 gallon planted tank with CO2 injection has maintained between 0.25 - 0.50 ppm Phosphate levels. In my setup, after I began CO2 injection, I supplemented it with an airstone to maintain healthy oxygen levels for the fish. I measure Phosphate twice per week using the API test kit. Based on the discussion here, going forward I may look to keep my Phosphate level slightly higher (0.50 ppm) consistently or slightly above but for my case I would consider 1.0 ppm a ceiling Phosphate level. In addition, I perform a weekly partial water change and my Nitrate levels also measured twice per week hover between 10-20 ppm. I also test for Ammonia and Nitrates and Potassium and will begin testing for Iron soon. After I began CO2 injection with Seachem Flourish macronutrients (Nitrogen, Phosphorous, Potassium) and Flourish micronutrients Iron, Flourish, Flourish Advance and Excel, my 30 gallon is "heavily planted" and requires pruning every other week or so. I have Taiwan Moss which I have setup as carpet on both sides and the front, Java Ferns, Anuibas Nano and Anubias Bartierri and 2 crypts. Due to the abundance, I have had to donate (aka trade) a few plants with my local Pet Supply shop in town.

Just my two cents on this topic.

View attachment 1031279

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.