The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wondering, for a freshwater planted tank, is there a relatively simple way to reduce phosphates? This is well water, and the only bad thing about it is phosphates at 2 ppm. This made for a futile battle with algae, and unhealthy or dead plants. Phosphates rose quickly in all my tanks, and prevented me from dosing with plant food.

Now, my tap water is so deficient, that it's brought in multiple other considerations, like GH, KH, ALK.

I've seen phosphate reducers, but, I don't want them fighting against the plant food, to the point where the plants suffer from phosphate deficiency.

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
629 Posts
Not sure if your phosphate levels were causing your algae issues as phosphates can be quite high without issues but ...

why not just run a bucket/garbage can thru a canister filter or similar with phosphate remover. Before you use it on your tank?

Ideally you should be running your well water thru RO. But that's just my opinion. :)

Since you mentioned gh/kh. That could be more important than phosphate levels. As far as plant growth

What are those levels?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.