The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I have been tempted to install a Phosban reactor 150 on my 90 gallon tank. I know plants need the Phosphate, but so does the algae in my tank as well. I havent been able to find much on the net with people talking about having them installed on a planted tank or not. Anyone on here that is using one or recommend using one on a planted tank. My tank is not heavily planted, although I hope someday it will be. Thanks!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I don't think adding a phosphate reactor would be a good idea. If anything, it may actually make your algae problem even worse in a planted tank.

From your post, I'm assuming you come from a saltwater background where everybody is paranoid about phosphate levels. Unless your tap water has abnormally high phosphates, you should be fine dosing phosphates as prescribed. Are you using EI dosing?

To give you an example...I was dosing a high light tank to maintain phosphates at around 1ppm and getting horrible GSA outbreaks. It wasn't until I upped my phosphates to 5ppm (from recommendations on forum) that my GSA magically went away.

I think you'll find that alot of maintain a planted tank is finding a balance between lights, ferts, and co2. When I first started planted tanks, I was so focused on 'not growing algae' and placed the health of my plants 2nd as a result. This will almost always lead to algae... Try to think less about 'not growing algae' and more about growing healthy plants. In order to grow healthy plants, you need to provide them with ALL of the things they need to grow in moderation.

Another thing to keep in mind... It is much easier to keep a heavily planted tank algae free. If you don't have a heavily planted tank right now and you're worried about algae, you may want to consider filling the entire tank with cheap stems and then slowly phasing them out as you find other species you'd like to stock. The problem with 'growing out' a tank from scratch is it is much harder to maintain a balance between light/ferts/co2 on a tank that is constantly changing in plant mass. It can be done, but its much more difficult.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Awesome thank you, exactly what I was wondering. You're right, I think I have been worrying more about killing algae than healthy plants. Going to save 50 bucks on the phosban now lol.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts