The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a couple of Phosban reactors that I'm not using now. Could I just reverse the input and output so the water enters through the top and exits through the bottom? I'll drill a hole and introduce CO2 at the bottom so there's counter flow between the water and CO2. I'll also add some bioballs to create more exchange.

See any problems with it?

On a side note - do you usually run carbon in a planted tank?

·
Registered
9 Posts
It seems like this would be a good idea, as long as your phosban reactor is large enough to provide enough reaction time. The only other thing I would recommend would be adding some bioballs to the reaction chamber to help break up the bubbles. Good luck with it!

As I have both saltwater and freshwater tanks, I've been thinking about taking a protein skimmer and turning it into a CO2 reactor, although that would be one expensive reactor.

As to the carbon, check around here for a more difinitive answer, but I don't think you run carbon, as it will take out all of your macro and micronutrients.

·
Registered
3,207 Posts
On a side note - do you usually run carbon in a planted tank?
I only do if I want to remove tannins or medication.

OK, not too familiar with the Phos-ban reactor, but from pics it looks like a fluidized bed filter I made once.
Depending on your filter flow rate, introducing the bubbles from the bottom, might shoot them right out. Also in that format it will put a lot of pressure on your CO2 having water rushing into the tubing.
If you can open it, I would have the CO2 line go in through the top, put it about 3/4 of the way down. If your bubbles are shooting out, shorten the line, if they are hovering, or slowly rising, great, if they rise too fast, lengthen the line if you can. All the way at the bottom, add the bio-balls to make the bubbles take a longer path hence giving you a longer reactor, but slowing your flow a bit.

HTH

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I built one on Saturday afternoon. Since I don't have my CO2 setup yet, I hooked it up to an ozonizer and air pump. It seems to be working pretty well becuase unless the ozone unit is cranked all the way up, I can't smell any ozone at all in the room. I ordered my regulator today and will pick up a tank on the way home. I'll hook it all up tomorrow evening and see how it works.

Is a CO2 test kit the best way to check for CO2 saturation or just use the pH/kH chart?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.