The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am now going to get into breeding some high quality halfmoon plakat betta as well as my wilds. I got my breeding pair from Coolbettas in WI (he's got a great set up and some great fish). I drove an hour and half to go visit his home breeder set up. These two are actually imports from Thailand. He breeds as well as gets in large import orders to sell here in the US.

My male is a Green Monster Halfmoon Plakat with the marble gene.

Male (this is a pic that the breeder took, I will take pics of him when he settles in):

Unrelated female (she's a Red/White Dragon Halfmoon Plakat):

In this pic she's in yellow water:

I'm conditioning them until Dec 27, then I'll start breeding (I'm going out of town for a week so I can't breed till I get back).

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
nice! It seems like the betta fashion is into plakats now.
A nice one will fetch $30-$40. I'll get a pair when it's a little warmer. I can get it locally from a breeder.

The bronze strain is pretty nice too. I'm a bit old fashion, I still like the blue and red guys.
And you're going to have to change your name to Betta-cry.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am going to have to change my name! I've gone betta crazy.

Plakats are in fashion right now cause they keep their fins nicer longer and you don't have to worry about tail bitting and whatnot.

I like the plakats because their body form and fins are closest to the wild type. I'll be looking to sell my nicest pairs for 30-40$ and my good pairs for 15$, the not so good ones....free fish food. giggle.

The bronze are stunning and I had to choose hard between this guy and a Green/Copper.

When buying from a local breeder just make sure you're getting fish that are 3-4 months old.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Nice fish!

If I ever get a fishroom I'll try my hand at breeding bettas again. I'd want an automated water change setup first- those water changes on 100 jars each week killed me LOL

Do you have plans in place already for selling all the fry?

·
ShrimpRetirement
8,313 Posts
I'm also looking into getting some nice Plakats. Man you read my mind Phoenix. My current spawn is turning out real nice. The babies have colored up nicely. I'll have to post a pix up for you guys. Maybe we can all trade later down the line. ;)

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm part of a betta club and the breeder I bought this pair from wants some of the fry as well. I also have no trouble with doing heavy culling when it comes to plakats so I don't have to worry about finding homes for all of them, only the best.

I was not planing on doing the hundred jar thing, I can't imagine getting 100 males worth keeping, I would like to see how long the fry can get along and if I can avoid jars all together that would be nice, but I've got a shelf all set up if I have to jar them.

Speedie, we seem to have the same taste in betta! I've also just ordered a pair of imbellis.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Nice Speedie!

Okay here we go! I bred these guys today. My rose Dragon betta is not old enough to breed, but I got a high class plakat female. First up the male:

Female is a 'Superman' bloodline Thai fighter:

Here they are breeding:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks guys! There must be at least 300 eggs, they spawned like this for three hours!

Thanks Laura, I love UB! Right now I've got one 45 gal with macrostoma and my female betta (macs are still young so they aren't big enough to eat the females), an 8 gallon that will have betta imbellis come wed, a five gallon where these two spawned, a 30 gallon with my breeding colony of betta albimarginata (which I just added another wild caught pair to, so now only three of the fish in the tank are related to one another two of the girls and a boy), and a ten gallon with albi fry. I just got a 30 long that I'm going to divide in half, one half will be imbellis grow out the other half will be plakat grow out. And then when it comes time to separate out the boys I've got plans to build a barrack system in the basement.

I've gone betta wild!!!

·
Registered
4,289 Posts
Wow, gorgeous! You have certainly gone Betta crazy but it's great you have space to do so! I'd love to try my hand at breeding but I just don't have room for it.

That male plakat is stunningly colored, can't wait to see the offspring! ..... also, what happened to conditioning them until Dec 27th? :hihi:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I will be selling, once I get everyone established! Although if you're looking for a good US stock right now Coolbetta on aquabid is one of the best (this is where I got mine from), he breeds and imports.

My travel plans changed which is why I bred now. This female I bought from someone who had been conditioning her for a few weeks and I'd been feeding my boy all live food since I got him, so everyone looked ready. We'll see!

As for the baracks I don't have them yet, but I will be doing a drip system with a sump.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.