The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, since I've gotten more into different types of Betta splendid I thought I'd just start over. This will be the thread for all my splendids, Halfmoon, Halfmoon Plakat, Imbellis hybrids, and Giants.

First I'm proud of my Giants so I'll start with them.

Look at this big boy! I don't like his color, but I can fix that in a few generations. He's six months old and already huge!

Female (sister, just as big):

Here is my Half Giant male that I'm going to use to infuse some colour:

Some of my males:

Halfmoon Plakat:

Symmetrical Plakat:

Halfmoon with Butterfly gene:

Halfmoon Plakat Dragon:

And my prize pair Red Dragon Halfmoon who spawned today!!

Male:

Female (sister):

Eggs:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! The Giants rock my socks. Can't wait to see what I get when I breed them.

I'll have Halfmoon Red Dragons in about three months. The daddy is taking very good care of them. He made a new nest and moved all the eggs.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The male made more bubbles and moved the eggs around. I will know in 24-48 hours if they are going to hatch. They hatch fast and are born very, very, very small! From what little I can see I guess 75-100 eggs. Not bad for their first spawn. Female is only 4 month old.

above

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This morning the nest was three times as big, eggs still look good! The Giant male that was ill is better already (all hail triple sulfa).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Babies!!!! I got home today and there are tons of tails! Eeek! I'm so excited! I also got a peek at some of the little guys from above. Sooooo tiny. If you don't know what you're looking for it will be hard to see. The top pic the baby is in the middle as two black dots, in the other shot the thin white things hanging down are their tails!

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I was reading about Bettas in the Jan. issue of TFH. I didn't know about these "Giant" Bettas! Very cool. They said they weren't very colorful and I immediately thought "not for long!". Knew someone would be trying to breed some awesome colors into them.

Congrats!

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
You just got them and they're breeding already... like bunnies.

So who are the parents? I see the male is the red dragon. Who's the mom?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
I stuffed the pair with live blackworms and got them in the moooood. The female is a Red Dragon as well (sister of the male).

They are trying to swim (the fry), they drop down about 1/4 of an inch and then zip back into the nest.

Just placed the King blue betta and the Giant together...yup, some one's gotta work to get some color into the Giant line, might as well be me!

EDIT: All the fry are free swimming! They like to hide under the anubis plant leaves. Fed microworms, I can't believe how tiny splendid fry are! Removed dad, he was getting stressed about trying to keep them in the nest, but he was not happy to be taken out.

·
Registered
89 Posts
great job, i used to breed betta. Too much work for me. I never fed any microworms to the fry. Just live bbs only.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is the new set up. I put the rack where my old drawing table used to be (Selling it, I don't use it anymore). I'm going to get the T5 light on the top tanks raised up a bit so it lights them better, and I need a new bulb for the bottom, I hate that hue. The small rack has rubbermaid with various fish with sponge filters. The 20 gallon is dry at the moment, will be grow out for the Halfmoons. The big tub is for breeding and growing out giant betta. the ten gallon is Albimarginata grow out. On the big rack, the top three tanks will be all Albi, the bottom will be splendid and aa tank of imbellis. the little five gallon will go. And I now also have a ten foot free wall space...you know what I'm thinking....barracks! Giggle.

Excuse the mess, I've been moving tanks and filling, and draining ALL day.

·
Registered
4,287 Posts
Wow that is crazy! And very cool! I'm totally digging your setup and the DIYing you've put into it! Great idea using simple rubbermaids too as grow-outs, no need for all of them to be display tanks! :hihi: How economical of you! :biggrin: Looks great! I can't wait to see how the breeding goes!

1 - 20 of 57 Posts