The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After my success with Betta Albimarginata (to see journal: http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/fish/95608-phoenixs-betta-albimarginata.html) I decided to give my hand a try at Betta Macrostoma (meaning 'big mouth'). My local Fishkeepers Association had an ad up for six unsexed (I have noted that I have at least two males) juvi Macrostoma 2-3 inches. So I bit the bullet and bought them. They are now in my 45 gallon.

Things to note: Macros are FAMOUS for jumping. You must cover the whole top of the tank, if there is a one inch square opening they will find it. They will also hit plastic tops hard enough to pop them open, so it's best to use glass or weigh down the plastic top.

My plan is to grow these guys up until they can be sexed. If I get two pairs I will keep them and sell the other two no matter what sex they are. If I do not get two pairs I will look around the betta world to trade some males for females, or females for males. It would be best to do this anyway so I could get unrelated pairs and I might end up doing it anyway so I call get F1s and not F2s.

Here are my babies:

·
Registered
801 Posts
Ah, very nice. Do you know from which breeder or strain they are from? I had 8 from breeder Tri Le (bentusi) who got some of his fish from Marc Wong. I believe they are Sarawak strain. These are the big B. Mac breeders I know of. I lost 5 and now have a trio. They are indeed notorious jumpers, make sure you acclimate them well whenever you switch them around tanks or they will go nuts!

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
These are F1s from a wild caught pair, but the breeder was unsure of the region that they came from. All wilds hate their water being changed around. I floated them for twenty minutes, then dripped them. They were very calm when released (lights off), hopefully all will be alive tomorrow.

These guys can be difficult to keep and do fall to illness quicker than others.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Here are some pics now that they are free in the tank. My water is a lot more yellow than seen here (from almond leaves) but I removed the hue in photoshop.

Here is a suspect male with my Deky Creek Blue Eyes and Orange Hatchet Danio, I'm gonna have to Aquabid all of my small schooling fish since these guys will get large enough to eat them!

Suspect female, no black spots on dorsal fin.

Suspect male, black dots, and red banding coming in.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
pH is at 6.5-6.7 (due to the almond leaves), hardness is 110 (slightly hard). These guys are not very touchy about the chemistry per se. They show their best color and breeding in acidic waters, the hardness helps keep the leaves from dropping the pH like a stone. If you have really soft water the almond leaves can easily put too much tanic acid in the tank.

·
Registered
2,177 Posts
Wow! I remember a long time ago reading your threads when you first started out with some multi colored gravel. You sure have gone a long long way.

I must say I am very envious of you. I could never breed fish and this guy has defiantly been on my christmas list.

Do you know if the males can be kept together?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Multi colored gravel? I've only ever used sand.

Anyway, you can keep males together if you have enough space for them (at least 20 gallons per male), but normally one will be dominant to the others.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My LFS got in a *stunning* pair of Betta macrostoma wild caught, but at the time I could not afford them. Then I made a few jewelery sales and I called them up and said "Pleeeease tell me you still have the macs." Yup! So they bagged them up while I made the thirty mile drive up there and I got them! They are now in my 45 with a set of younger macrostoma. I sold the other four and kept the best pair for myself! Heehee. I figure 45 gallons is fine for two pair. I love them, I love them, I love them! They are eating like pigs! Breed my beauties!!

His name is Singularity her name is Nova (yes, all my betta have space and/or Star Trek names...I'm a geek).

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Event and Horizon are perfect names for the younger pair (which had yet to be named). I don't normally name fish, but I have recently gotten into naming the ones I can tell apart.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts