The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I have lost my mind. I have gone whole hog on Wild Betta. I am now keeping and breeding (or planing to breed) Betta: albimarginata, macrostoma, and now imbellis, and pangkalanbun. I have six tanks running, I plan to set up eight.

The imbellis breeder in Malaysia (Pikb on aquabid) was amused cause I was his first female customer.

My plan is to in about six months have a fully established breeding program going! I want to add to the hobby of fish keeping by helping with offering high quality captive bred wild betta.

My new betta imbellis pair from Malaysia (captive bred, unrelated pair from Malaysia):

Male:

Male in flare (this picture was taken by the breeder, it is the same fish):

Female:

Today I added Betta pangkalanbun to my collection, I only have a poor picture of the male, this is through the bag, they are an amazingly pretty betta and very simmilar in personality to the imbellis.

Male (captive bred, unrelated pair from Thialand):

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
The imbellis REALLY looks like a plakat... But I read in ub that their temper isn't as bad as a regular betta.

About how much are you planning to sell your imbellis?

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Imbellis look a lot like plakat although imbellis have a sleeker form than the plakat and they can be kept in groups, however, imbellis are often bred into plakats to help smooth out their body forms. Pairs will go for 15-20 dollars depending on their color intensity. It will be about a month before they are old enough to condition for breeding.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I got a pair of wild caught from Pibk. Two days after I got them, there was a bubble nest full of eggs in their 10 gallon! They bred again a day after the first bubble nest disolved, and again a week after the second clutch was free swimming!

I think it's still possible, though not easy, to find wild form Betta splendens. The gene pool has been infiltrated with selective bred plakats, but some wild caughts can still look like the original splendens. Different coloring on the gill plates, and slightly different position of the dorsal fin. Other than that, they look very much like Betta imbellis.

Gonna be a while before I have the space and time to take on all the Bettas that you have, but I'd make room for some nice wild splendens if I could find them. If not, the next Bettas I'll try will probably be coccina, or uberis. I really love the wild Bettas too!

Joe

·
Registered
45 Posts
So sorry to hear that, but don't let it deter you from pushing the boundries. Learn all you can, and give it another try. It's unfortunate that lives are lost in the learning, but some day the only examples left might be in the tanks of those who took the trouble to learn.

Joe

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hugs! thanks for the encouragment. I bought six imported fish from the same pet store on the same day and they all died within 48 hours of one another... I tested my water and it's perfect, so something about the stress.

I'm overhauling my tank room right now. If I can find another pair of these guys I'm going to try again.

·
Children Boogie
16,743 Posts
Hugs! thanks for the encouragment. I bought six imported fish from the same pet store on the same day and they all died within 48 hours of one another... I tested my water and it's perfect, so something about the stress.

I'm overhauling my tank room right now. If I can find another pair of these guys I'm going to try again.
that happened to my torpedo barbs too. A very expensive way to have happen.

I hear this is very common with wild bettas. if the conditions are not exact to their wild conditions, they tend to die.

·
Registered
230 Posts
The palangs I have are doing great. They are in tannin stained water with a pH between 5.5-6 with java moss, duck weed, and some type of pennywort...they all seem to get along fine for the most part, a few flares here and there....

No breeding yet but given the complex I just need to add some caves to get them started. Mine won't take dry foods but love live and frozens... They're little hams though, always at the front of the tank watching me and like to come up to the surface when they see the shadow from my hand lift the lid...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.