The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 122 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This thread used to be in Nano tanks back when I only had ten gallons of Betta Albimarginata. However currently I have a 45 gallon (cycling), 30 gallon (cycling), ten gallon, 3 gallon picotope (fry), and two gallon jar (sub adults waiting for the bigger tanks to cycle).

So I'm starting this thread for anyone and everyone who wants advice on breeding this wonderful betta or for those of you just curious abou these guys. I bought a wild caught pair on a whim and I've fallen in love. I've sold off almost all my other fish to make more room for these guys.

I do sell them, and I do ship. However, right now I'm in 'set up' mode so I probably won't have fish avaliable for a few months.

Here we go!! I present you with Betta Albimarginata: The White Seam Fighter.

Needs: These guys are happiest in soft slightly acidic water, but they are very hardy and do well under most conditions. About the only thing they don't enjoy is too much heat. I keep mine from 70-73 in the winter and 73-75 in the summer (basically no heater). I have some almond leaves on order and I hear this will make everyone happier. Right now I've changed everyone over to barebottom tanks and it is a lot easier to keep stuff clean!

Breeding: Males hold the eggs in there mouth for 12-15 days average, although I had one hold for 22 days once. Babies are black, free swimming, and are large enough to eat live baby brine shrimp right away. I feed fry bbs, and microworms for the first few weeks before introducing frozen daphina, and then crushed microwafers. WARNING: males of course do not eat for the whole time they carry eggs and if you reintroduce the male to a female right away she will breed him to death! Seperate and feed for a week before reintroducing.

My wild caught Albi caught in the act, you can see her spitting out the eggs so he'll pick them up.

Male and female in a matting wrap, female colours up when in the 'mood'.

Female in none breeding colours:

My wild male:

Similar fish Betta Channoides:

I accidently took in a dozen of these guys. Here's the diff: Albi: White and black dorsal fin stripe, full black tail stripe, light red. Channs: no black dorsal stripe, 90% black tail stripe, brick red.

Betta Channoides:

3 Species of Alib?

Yes, they are currently thinking of seperating them into three species due to the fact that they live in diffrent locals. I have bought several Albi from different places and they all have slightly different reds to them, but they all interbreed.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Fry Care: Albi fry are fairly hardy. However, there are a few things they hate. Number one: Large water changes. Never change more than 10% of their water, and don't change their water for the first month. When I move them from the breeder net to the fry tank I take an airline hose and drip acclimate them to the fry tank for over an hour, after that I float them for fifteen minutes to make sure the temp is the same before moving them. In a perfect world the male would be in the fry tank and you'd move him and not them...but I don't have enough tanks to do this.

Do NOT use breeding boxes, the slits are too large. Use a breeding net. Do not raise them in the net, there is not enough circulation and they get caught under the plastic frame and die.

My first batch of F1 day one (note the box...I lost nearly this whole batch into the tank)

F1 one week later (belly full of food):

F1 three weeks later (Albi grow slow, 4-6 months to reach adult):

F1 five weeks old:

F1 two months old:

F1 two months old showing male colours:

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Fry Food: I feed live micro/walter/banana worms that I have in one big culture. Easy to care for worms, just place them in a container (with lid) with some wet oatmeal and a sprinkle of yeast. To collect the worms spray water onto of the oatmeal and sides of container the night before, next morning they will be up on the sides and you can rub them off with a q-tip. I also feed fresh hatched brine shrimp.

All live food for a few weeks then I start introducting frozen daphina, and cyclopseze. Later crushed micro wafers by hikari. Adults/sub-adults get frozen, hikari, and live blackworms.

I feed small amounts twice a day.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Fry tank: My current fry tank is a bare bottom picotope stuffed with pellia with a few pieces of slate (they like to hang out on the slate). There is a small HOB filter with a sponge over the intake.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Current grow out/breed tanks waiting to cycle. I will wait a good two to three weeks before adding any betta. Right now all of my stock are in a ten gallon, and two three gallons.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just happened to be near my LFS and thought I'd drop in. They've had a pair of wild caught Betta Albimarginata that I've had my eye on for a month, but I couldn't bring myself to pay 80 bucks for this pair (they weren't the greatest). When I went in today the rotting corpse of the female was on the bottom of the 2 gallon tank they were in (she must have been dead at least three days) and the male was next. He is painfully thin (they were trying to feed just flake).

So although I shouldn't have I paid 30 bucks to take the male. I hope some live blackworms and some time in a good sized tank (the ten gallon) will whip him back into shape and I can add a touch more wild genes to my stock.

I think he was way too expensive for a dying fish (talked down from 40), but I couldn't just leave him there to die. I love these guys too much.

·
Registered
956 Posts

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
This is what happens if you have too much space for your fry tank. These two are the same age. These guys were in a ten gallon and since these are wait and grab predators they tend to stay in once place and wait for food to come to them. Which is why I now raise them in a three gallon till they are 1/2 inch.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
F2 in a row! I've since removed the sand.

I've made a lot of mistakes along the way, but I've finally gotten to a point where I seem to sort of know what I'm doing. I currently have 18 fry. Five adults. Eight sub-adults. I have seven diffrent blood lines from swaping Albi with other breeders. In about six months I should be a fully established breeder.

I welcome questions! I spent nearly an hour on the phone with a guy who had just brought home a pair only to find that the male was already holding.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Speedie 408 just sent me a pic of a pair of Albi that they are breeding...that just happen to be my babies! Ebichua let them borrow them for breeding. I'm so proud.

·
Fresh Fish Freak
24,403 Posts
Looks like you're getting a really nice setup going!

Congrats on all the fry!

And best of luck with that rescued male... hopefully he pulls through.

I'd PP any equipment that you put in that tank with him, though. It'd be horrible if he brought something in that took out any of the rest of your stock.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Here are some Questions I've gotten along the way and my answers.

Q: How long from when the eggs hatch to the point the male spits out the babies? I'm asking because I'm at the point where I can see the babies wiggling through his gills.

A: If you see wriggling when it first starts you've got two to three days till he spits them out. The moment I spot eyeballs I move my male into a breeder net (not a box, the slots in the boxes are too big and the babies slip out). Once they are spat out the male will only remember them for a day or so...and then they will become lunch. So if you want high yield you need to keep babies and parents apart.

I had one male spit out too early and all the babies had egg yolk sacs (it was his second batch) so I placed them in a cup of water with java moss and they just laid in the moss, three days later they were free swimming!

If you catch them mating or you notice that one day he eats and the next day he doesn't, mark that date on the calandar since that they tend to hold for 12-15 days (although I had one dad hold on for 22 days) and that way you don't have worry about spotting wriggling you can just place them in the breeder net on the 11th day.

Q: What is their adult size?
A: A little over two inches.

Q: Are these passive betta?
A: Yes, in fact they do best in schools. They are peaceful to community fish although a regular betta splendid may beat up on them.

Q: What is the smallest take size?
A: I have heard of people keeping them in two gallons, I suggest at least 10 for adults.

Q: Do they jump?
A: Yup.

Q: How much do you sell them for?
A: I sell full adult sexed pairs for 45$.

Single adult female for 25.

Single adult male for 30 (so just buy the pair...giggle).

Sub-adult unsexed single for 20$

With discounts on schools of 4 or more. 4 unsexed for 75, 6 unsexed for 100.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks! I'm not worried about him bringing in any diseases cause he's been in quatintine in the pet store for several months, were I've been keeping an eye on him. It was clear that the female died of starvation and that he was soon to follow. Right now I have three tanks worth of these guys.

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
Props to writing all these information down. It's sure to help out new betta albimarginata breeders out. Carefull, some dude might take these info and pictures and publish it on a website.

·
Registered
956 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks! I hope it does help.

I'm not too worried about someone stealing my shots and my info and spreading the word because in the end I don't make any money or anything off my pictures and if the info can help out other breeders I'm okay with that too.

It would be *nice* if someone decides to turn this into a web page that they link back to me...but I know the internet is full of thieves and I kinda just accept it. Giggle.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Thanks for the info! I would love to acquire a pair of these betta in the future when I setup my 20 long.

How much would shipping cost usually?

·
Registered
956 Posts
1 - 20 of 122 Posts