The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some advice. My tap water pH is about 9.2 and very soft - kH is about 30ppm. Here's the issue. I have a Carbo-plus unit dosing CO2. It puts out tons of small bubbles but they don't dissolve well. Everything gets coated with bubbles. The filter blows them around. I've been able to drop the pH to about 8 but the fish are stressing big time. Does the fact that I've lowered the pH mean I'm getting CO2? According to charts - my kH and pH readings indicate that I don't have CO2 but the fish are stressing. Take a look at the pics.

Picasa Web Albums - Karl - Tank Pics

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use a pH meter bracketing the result with a 7 and 10 buffer. The pH reading is right. I can use baking soda to get the kH up. Should I do it? What level would you recommend? Won't that make it more difficult to reduce pH?

·
Registered
9,600 Posts
The bubbles produced by the Crapo-Plus are actually mostly hydrogen and not CO2.

Something is very strange with your water. With only 30 ppm of kH you should have a natural pH of 7°-7.2°

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
It sounds to me like your tank has a load of phosphates in it, and phosphates will mess up the KH/pH/CO2 chart. It wouldn't be possible to have a pH of 9.2 without a KH of around 50, if all of the alkalinity of the water were from carbonates. If you water is from a water company, ask for the water quality report and see what stuff is in the water.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts