The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 10gal 2 year old tank that is now shrimp only. No CO2, plain gravel. Moss and Ricca only. I took all the wood and any dead leaves I could find. My problem is I think my PH may be too low. I am using a "AP Freshwater Master Test Kit". The test kit is still working as I am getting different readings from my tanks and tested my tap water also. It is 7.6 out of the tap. I am showing almost clear when I test this 10gal tank. The lowest it shows on the card is 6.0 and I know I am below that. Also the water is a little milky.

Is 5.5 or 6.0 too low for Tigers and RCS. I have had some deaths and the shrimp seem to just sit around. I did a small 15%, WC yesterday and it went up to 6.4 But back down to 5.5 or 6.0 today. NH3=0, NO3 = 0. Just low PH.

Also I understand I can add coral or limestone to get my ph up a little. Is this limestone below? Thanks as always!!!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Substrate is regular aquarium gravel only. No peat or anything. My 2 other tanks are always at 6.6 with CO2 injection, And 7.6 with out it. I did have DIY CO2 on this and for about 1 year but I took it off about 3 days ago. It is over all clean and free of anything dead. But lots of moss. Could it be because of too mch moss?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I did just change the filter floss about 3 days ago for the first time in about 3 months. I have 2 HOB on this tank. Also I did just do a 20%WC about 1 hour ago, and the PH went up some. And I put what I think is a piece of limestone in the filter. So I hope that helps. What else can I do to correct OTS?
The shrimp are all walking around now and eating, All with good color.

I found this below in a search, Would this be good to do?

"To remedy the old tank syndrome, water changes are essential. A few Gallons per day will eventually raise the pH to the point where the beneficial bacteria are "re-activated" again, solving the ammonia problem. This has to be done slowly to prevent any disaster by drastic changes in the environment. Ammonia has to be monitored and the water changes should be paused if pH is rising but ammonia not declining. The bacteria need to catch up first. Remember ammonia gets toxic with rising pH"

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
That is wierd. Something is lowering the pH in there, especially if you are at 7.6 out of the tap. Is that standing pH after 24 hours? Crushed coral will take awhile to raise it, except in a canister filter and even there you are looking at a few days. I think I would try some bigger water changes. The shrimp will be much happier at a higher pH. Neutral or higher is best, though Cherries are OK in mildly acidic 6.5-6.9, I think. Or add a little bit of baking soda.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Well, lots of people use a bit of crushed coral in a can filter to raise/replenish KH with pressurized CO2. I did it for years, till I realized low KH is better for plants. Maybe a quarter of a cup of crushed coral in a media bag in a 90 gallon. Never had a problem. Just don't use too much.

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
A long, long time. Many months - 3/4 year, don't remember. You just check your KH and GH and if after a week or too it isn't high enough, just put in a tiny bit more. But it takes a few days to a week to kick in, so don't expect it to raise it up real fast. I still keep a tiny bit in my RCS tank's XP2 filter to keep the KH & GH up a bit.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
PH is 7.6 out of the tap after 8 hrs. All shrimp are fine, and all swiming around eating. PH is 7.0 after the water change last night. The bump from 6 to 7 really helped them. I put some crushed limestone into the filter. and will try some more water changes. How much baking soda would I need for a 10 gallon? I guess just go slow and see for myself. Add every other day till I get to 7.6 correct?

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.