The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Super Moderator
12,161 Posts
You do not need to use pH down (or other chemical additives) to lower your pH. Rather, you should not, as trying to play with the pH might cause swings that are more harmful for fish than if the pH were kept stable.

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
To better understand why PH down is not a good way to go, you may need to read up some on how PH and buffers work together. If you only lower the PH and have lots of buffering, the PH will just shoot up again. To be at all effective if it was needed, you would have to deal with the buffering as well as the PH. Not a simple process and I do not recommend it at all.

·
Registered
5,576 Posts
To better understand why PH down is not a good way to go, you may need to read up some on how PH and buffers work together. If you only lower the PH and have lots of buffering, the PH will just shoot up again. To be at all effective if it was needed, you would have to deal with the buffering as well as the PH. Not a simple process and I do not recommend it at all.
+one.

·
Registered
588 Posts
Most fish will adapt to the ph of your tap. Only a handful are needing a specific ph, regardless of what you may have read or being told by the person in the store.
I agree completely. Say for a few specific species, most will adapt to the pH of your tap. As long as introduction is done properly and the levels are consistent. Consistency is key.

Sent from my SGH-T889 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
11,721 Posts
Ditto the above answers. pH is not a stand alone value, nor is it the most important test in the tank.

The mineral levels are actually more important than the pH for fish.

If you want to keep those species that really do require softer water (and this usually implies low pH) then please post GH, KH and TDS results, and tell us what kind of fish you want to keep and breed.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.