The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone,

This weekend I added a piece of driftwood that I had been soaking for a few weeks and it lowered my ph to below 6.4.

I was originally using a drop checker in my tank with a dkh of 4 to measure my co2 readings. I had gauged the amount of co2 to add by keeping the drop checker in the green. However, now the drop checker is extremely yellow and my shrimp are dropping like flies!

What do I do?

Water change? Add baking soda?

·
Registered
395 Posts
Hi Everyone,

This weekend I added a piece of driftwood that I had been soaking for a few weeks and it lowered my ph to below 6.4.

I was originally using a drop checker in my tank with a dkh of 4 to measure my co2 readings. I had gauged the amount of co2 to add by keeping the drop checker in the green. However, now the drop checker is extremely yellow and my shrimp are dropping like flies!

What do I do?

Water change? Add baking soda?
You can add some baking soda. Did you measure the before and after hardness readings? Maybe the driftwood softened the water?

Driftwood can also leech tanic acid that can affect your aquarium

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
If your dropchecker did not have an accidental water introduction, the CO2 is terriblly high.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.