The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I moved a few months ago and life was so hectic i didnt put my tanks back together again. The part I'm slapping myself about is i let my PH probe dry out. (this is for my CO2 Controller (pinpoint))

I soaked it in distilled water overnight then added it to my tank and it was reading very low. So - i don't have any calibration fluid - but i figured i'd be an amature scientist - i used some freshly mixed salt water from my reef tank, of which i can test to PH of 8.24 consistently. So I just adjusted the calibration on the Pinpoint PH monitor to match that, and let her rip. It's been going for 3 days now with no issues.

I ordered calibration fluid, but I've been wondering if i should just replace it?

Thanks in advance for your feedback.

·
Registered
496 Posts
to calibrate properly you need ph 7 and ph 4 or 10
ph 7 to calibrate and 4 or 10 for slope
even if it calibrates ok the slope could be way off
if the probe is working ok when you calibrate for ph7 then slope 4 or 10 , when you repeat you get the same results, if there is drift the probe needs to be replaced

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks! I'll check it when the calibration solution gets here... until the there is nothing in the tank but a few crypts, flourite, and some driftwood - so im going to let it run.

Thank you again!

·
Registered
1,846 Posts
Usually if a pH probe dries out, that's about the end of it.

I'd replace it, especially if your using it on a controller of one sort or another.

Yea, it's an expensive item, but that's what I'd do myself. It's not worth risking the aquarium system.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.