The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My problem is, that i have not noticed a drop in PH after starting CO2 injection. While i don't mind that it hasn't dropped but my concern is if my Co2 is even having an effect at all, or maybe i don't have enough co2 production for my sized tank?? i know the kh/ph table is an inferior way of measuring Co2 but i think i should see at least a little ph change?? i don't know and was hoping someone has experienced this or knows what it going on. haha

i have two DIY yeast Co2 generators feeding an air-stone which is placed at the intake of a powerhead that is positioned at the bottom of my tank. this produces millions of tiny bubbles throughout my entire 55 gal tank, therefore i think my diffusion method is pretty good. the co2 generators produce well over 5 bubbles per second though the air stone, i have 120 Watt CF bulbs I have no air stones (outgassing co2), i do have a hang on back filter system but there is very little surface agitation in my opinion, but it might be enough to outgass the co2 ?? i don't know? I have a fully planted tank including quite a bit of java fern, amazon sword, etc. there are also many fish: neon tetras, rummy nose tetras, albino shark, pleco, blue groumi, all of which have not shown any signs of co2 poisoning. i also have two very large pieces of drift wood.

thanks for any insight

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
A drop checker with the 4 dKH solution would be very helpful to you by indicating your approximate CO2 level. GLA has a good selection and they come with the indicator solution and 4 dKH solution.
http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers.html

There are drop checkers on ebay, online stores and other sites. SuMo carries the solutions to. Their 30 ppm solution is the 4 dKH solution.
http://www.sumoregulator.com/DropCheckerSolutions.html
http://www.bigalsonline.com/BigAlsUS/ctl3684/cp18478/si1380875/cl0/redseaco2indicator
http://pet-supplies.shop.ebay.com/A...hecker&_catref=1&_fln=1&_trksid=p3286.c0.m282

·
Super Moderator
11,955 Posts
How long have you been using CO2 for? The pH does take a bit of time before it drops.

How large are your DIY CO2 containers? If they are your standard 2L pop bottles, two of them may be insufficient to provide enough CO2 for a 55g tank.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
they are 2 liter size, i have had one on for about two weeks, then i added the second one maybe 4 days ago, how long does it typically take to change the PH? a week?

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
Key words from your post: DIY and 55 gallon.

You obviously are aware of the limitations of the KH/pH table, but I still agree with you that you should still see some change. With that said, no matter what you decide to do, you can't go wrong with the purchase of a drop checker http://www.greenleafaquariums.com/co2-drop-checkers/gleaf-drop-checker.html

You'll be able to use it if you go pressurized, and it is useful to help tune in your DIY system.

One thing I would note is that a bubble is not a bubble. All bubbles are not created equal, and they are just a rough idea. Along those lines, 5 bps on a 55 with a HOB filter is not a lot. I'm not saying that under the right conditions, 5 bps wouldn't be significant, it's just not a lot.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yea i am wanting to get a pressurized co2 system eventually, but i wanted to see how well my tank benefited from co2 with diy first. so far not much. If i did have a pressurized system, how long would it last and how much co2 would it take for my 50 gal (rough bps) . i just don't see it being very efficient since my diy is putting out a significant amount of co2. thanks again for all of your reply's it is helpful

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
have you used any ph buffering products?
what niko said has happened to me. i had crushed coral which would dissolve and raise my kh and ph.

maybe the problem isnt the co2 or the ph of your water.
what kind of test kit are you using? it could be faulty. recheck your ph to try to eliminate human error.

·
Registered
3,477 Posts
also if you can see bubbles they arent dissolving all of th way. look into a diy co2 reactor.

another problem for you is that the fluctuating levels of co2 from the diy bottles can cause algae growth. and in a large tank like that it will be hard to keep co2 ppm at a constant rate. when your yeast starts to die it will let off less gas. it will vary with temperature of the mixture and with direct light

·
Banned
1,241 Posts
One thing tanks benefit from is consistency, which DIY makes difficult but not impossible. Some people here are masters of CO2, and they can make a tank last forever. I use a regular old sump covered in 'press n seal' and I go through a 5 gallon tank every couple of months on my 65 gallon. At $22, I don't have any problem with that. Since you don't have a sump, I would expect an average system to last twice that long. It all depends on how efficiently you diffuse the CO2. I have read about setups here that would only have you changing out that tank once or twice in a year. I just put the CO2 into the pump, and I can see a lot of little bubbles come up to the surface.

With a HOB filter, there are some mods people do to make sure the water doesn't splash in, and obviously keeping the water level high is important. If you are going to spend all the money on a CO2 system, you might also consider a canister filter. Maintenance gets harder, but there are some benefits.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
have you used any ph buffering products?
what niko said has happened to me. i had crushed coral which would dissolve and raise my kh and ph.

maybe the problem isnt the co2 or the ph of your water.
what kind of test kit are you using? it could be faulty. recheck your ph to try to eliminate human error.
I dont have any kind of ph buffer, my substrate is the pea gravel/river rock, i know its not ideal for plants but my plants have been growing pretty well for a year or so. I defiantly have noticed a slight amount of algae growth on the glass, it is very slight, and i just scrape it off when i do water changes. there is a small amount of the black hair algae growing on some plant leaves, but that has been there for quite a while and its growth hasn't increased.

Also i use a dropper PH test kit, not the strip kind, i also have a strip kind ( part of a 5 in 1 tester) and they typically do not match up, but i go off of the dropper kit.
I think i will give a better reactor system a try, first and see how that goes.

thanks again everyone

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I'll have to agree with kid creole again a canister filter on a large high-tech tank is a must. While most of my small species tanks are low-tech hamburger sponge filtered I run Eheim Classic canister*s* on my big C02 tanks.

Overall I think your on the right track with the reactor but keep pressurized C02 and canisters on the list for future upgrades.

- Brad

1 - 13 of 13 Posts