The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious - anyone know of any low cost off the shelf or DIY options to monitor PH and log results to a PC? Looks like you can do this with some of the aquarium controllers out there, but that's more bells and whistles than I'm interested in. I'm thinking either a ph probe with USB connector and software or something to hook up the BNC connector from the standard probes. I can't seem to find anything like this.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
If you are thinking DIY, there are several breakout boards available fairly cheap. I've seen them for around $30.
You could interface it to an Arduino or Raspberry Pi. Add a wifi shield to the Arduino and send the data to any of the IOT websites that let you track data for free and you are in business.

Lots of open source help on how to do this, its on my ToDo list.

Analog pH Meter Pro

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. Was thinking there must be some USB enabled pH probe but never did find one. Ended up going with an Atlas pH kit for higher accuracy and grabbed a temperature probe too. Finally a good reason to pick up a Pi 3. I'll probably end up coming close to the cost of a controller when all's said and done...but what's the fun in that? :grin2:

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
Thank you. Was thinking there must be some USB enabled pH probe but never did find one. Ended up going with an Atlas pH kit for higher accuracy and grabbed a temperature probe too. Finally a good reason to pick up a Pi 3. I'll probably end up coming close to the cost of a controller when all's said and done...but what's the fun in that? :grin2:
Hook it up to the IoT and you will have reporting Ph meter. That is my plan.

Bump: Can I ask what your thoughts are that will make the Atlas more accurate than the link I sent you? Will it justify 3x price other than calibration solutions?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It's not just the calibration solutions. From the link you shared:
Accuracy : ± 0.1pH (25 ℃)
Response Time : ≤ 1min

The Atlas kit claims +- .02pH with a 1 second response time. If I decide to try to use the pH reading alongside kH as a second method of estimating my CO2 seems like a range of .2 on the possible actual pH value is a bit too wide.

Really just personal preference and cost tolerance.

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
It's not just the calibration solutions. From the link you shared:
Accuracy : ± 0.1pH (25 ℃)
Response Time : ≤ 1min

The Atlas kit claims +- .02pH with a 1 second response time. If I decide to try to use the pH reading alongside kH as a second method of estimating my CO2 seems like a range of .2 on the possible actual pH value is a bit too wide.

Really just personal preference and cost tolerance.
ahhh ya that's a big difference! Hmm now you got me thinking!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.