The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have recently been given two Aqua Medic pH computer/controllers by a friend of mine. I only got one pH probe, however, and that one probe will not accept the orders that I need to properly calibrate it with the pH4 and pH7 solutions which leads me to believe that the probe dried out while it was being stored and may no longer work. I have two questions:

1) Does anyone know any tricks or tips for calibrating this computer and the probe?

2) Will other manufacturers' pH probes that have the standard (I think it is called BNC) connection?

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've never worried about the brand of the probe. Can't help with your aqua medic though.
So are the probes universal? I can pick up a generic one for less than $20 shipped, or a Pinpoint branded one for about $50 shipped, while the Aqua Medic is $150. If a generic one will work, I want to try that route first. Thanks for the response.

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
I've had good luck with several from Pinpoint in the 20+ years I've used them. I'd be a little concerned with the quality of one that cost $20.00 but it could be just as good.

No way I'd pay $150.00. Knowing the exact pH is not that important to me and the price tag may not deliver better results.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've had good luck with several from Pinpoint in the 20+ years I've used them. I'd be a little concerned with the quality of one that cost $20.00 but it could be just as good.

No way I'd pay $150.00. Knowing the exact pH is not that important to me and the price tag may not deliver better results.
Thanks a lot for the info. I found a Pinpoint brand probe in a LFS for $60, and I will try to pick one up tomorrow if they will allow me to return it if it is incompatible. Honestly, if I could not find a probe that would work I was looking at the Milwaukee controller, which I can get shipped for about $100. And yeah, I admit to being a little uncomfortable with a $20 product that is intended for precision usage and the $150 probe just seemed a little absurd even from a company that has a good reputation like Aqua Medic. I will post what happens with the Pinpoint probe.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well, I got the Pinpoint probe, and now my pH computer/controller works! The LFS staff had no problem with me returning the probe if it was not compatible with my computer, so I got one today and now have a functioning pH computer. Thanks for your help!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.