The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm so scared to breed any soft water shrimp with the San Diego tap water. The Ph of the water I get in my area is 7.8+ and I cannot afford (nor my parents getting the hassle of) buying RO water. Anything to help with an economical solution? I plan on using a discus Ph lowering product, but a Ph spike or crash is scaring me. If I'm planning to lower the Ph of my water, how would I sufficiently do water changes? HELP!

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
21,012 Posts
What happens to the pH if you let a container of tap water sit out in the open for several hours? Sometimes high pH tap water becomes much closer to neutral when you do that.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Driftwood and Co2 would probably drop the water's Ph closer to 7.2, but still too high for my taste. The KH is really scaring me now because I don't have enough money to buy RO water weekly and the KH is gonna catch up soon. AHHH!

Cheers,
Justin

·
Registered
348 Posts
Hi Justin,

I keep CRS in San Diego tap water with pressurized CO2. This keep the ph at 6.8 to 6.9. I also have ADA Aquasoil and have found that this lowers the pH significantly especially in smaller tanks.

Also, if you are looking for CRS, I can suggest Kevin Tran who has a sales thread on this forum. He lives in SD
http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/swap-n-shop/96812-fs-crystal-red-shrimp-free-shipping.html
Kevins shrimp are a pretty hardy stock and mine do well in the local water.

Good luck

Bill

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for a CRS source, I'll plan to buy some when my tank is ultimately established. I can't use Aquasoil so I'm using a combo of Flourite Black Sand and Eco Complete. I'm using DIY Co2 and with your comment, my Ph should get 7.0-7.4. Do you anyway to lower Kh? That is my biggest concern. Also, a anyone use a Discus water softener?

Cheers,
Justin

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.