The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,116 Posts
So CRS can deal with low pH but can't deal with the actual pH "swings" from the CO2?
Think of a pH swing as the same as deep sea diving or mountain climbing. You can't go from the bottom of the ocean to the surface too fast or you get the bends. You can't go from sea level to 30,000 feet fast without giving and training your body to adapt to the less oxygen. In addition, its not as much as the pH swings, its the fact that in heavy CO2 tank, the water is saturated with CO2 and not with oxygen, which the shrimp need to breath. Really, if you want to do a CRS tank, I would stay away from CO2. You can try, but its going to have effects unless you run massive oxygen too, which the Asian breeders do to lower/control pH, but not for plant growth. If you want to have a nice planted tank loaded with CO2, Crystals aren't the best to put in there. It can be done but you won't get a lot of breeding, have deaths, etc. I know you're trying to find a balance between both, but really, pick one. You can have a nice planted tank with no CO2 with some work.

·
SCAPEr
2,560 Posts
Think of a pH swing as the same as deep sea diving or mountain climbing. You can't go from the bottom of the ocean to the surface too fast or you get the bends. You can't go from sea level to 30,000 feet fast without giving and training your body to adapt to the less oxygen. In addition, its not as much as the pH swings, its the fact that in heavy CO2 tank, the water is saturated with CO2 and not with oxygen, which the shrimp need to breath. Really, if you want to do a CRS tank, I would stay away from CO2. You can try, but its going to have effects unless you run massive oxygen too, which the Asian breeders do to lower/control pH, but not for plant growth. If you want to have a nice planted tank loaded with CO2, Crystals aren't the best to put in there. It can be done but you won't get a lot of breeding, have deaths, etc. I know you're trying to find a balance between both, but really, pick one. You can have a nice planted tank with no CO2 with some work.

so hows those "iwagumi" tanks with high-grade CRS works?

i mean iwagumi (HC) they need high amount of light AND co2.... which contradict with high-grade CRS shimps..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.