The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Originally I had 12 pygmy corys in a 20 gal low tech. One passed right after acclimation. All but one thrived; it just never was a healthy one, it was small and the other fish ate all the food. I never saw them enough in my densely planted tank either. So after a few months I decided to move them to a iwagumi fluval spec v with Monte carlo and s repens. After I moved the ten, only eight survived the next week. Even though the softer water and low pH via aquasoil is more natural, they didnt handle the shift as well as I hoped. I know they are fragile but it is still sad. Now I thought they will be happy in that tank. The water is soft and has low pH. No competition from other fish. Around 0-5 nitrates.
But over the course of the last five months, they died one by one. The most recent my 4th death may have been due to a heat wave when my AC broke for a day, but it still doesn't explain the other 3 deaths. I don't get it. I moved them to a smaller tank yes, but the water chemistry is closer to nature and there is less competition in food. I know my water chemistry is good because I purposely do not do water changes because my plants are nutrient deprived. I do not know the reason why they die one by one. Any advice?

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
Did you do any kind of drip acclimation when you switched them? They're pretty sensitive to parameter changes, not so much having parameters outside their natural habitat. If they grew up in and were accustomed to being in harder water and you switched them without acclimation it could be the reason why they are dying- though I expect that would be quicker than what you're experiencing.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you do any kind of drip acclimation when you switched them? They're pretty sensitive to parameter changes, not so much having parameters outside their natural habitat. If they grew up in and were accustomed to being in harder water and you switched them without acclimation it could be the reason why they are dying- though I expect that would be quicker than what you're experiencing.
Yes. I drip acclimated for about 3 hours for the move.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are they showing signs of stress at all? Do they have anything wrong with them that you can see?
No sign of stress. But before they die everyone else seems swimming and eating happily, but then one is more shy and hide and doesn't swim much. After a few days it dies.

·
Registered
2,141 Posts
It sounds like an illness of some sorts but there's nothing visible so it makes it very difficult to tell. Do you see the shy one at all? Are they getting any kind of stringy or whitish poop?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.