The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I Been experiencing high PH levels with my new setup I have running, a 60 gallon aquarium.
Right now I just went thru the nitrogen cycle and it's been hevely planted also I have a meadium size driftwood and 4 kattapa almond leafs. The substrate is 2 in of organic soil and 1.5 in of pool filter sand. I been concerned if the PFS has something to do with the high ph???

·
Registered
794 Posts
The PFS should just be Qtz. But to check to see if it has a CA matrix place a little acid in a dry sample of the sand. If it reacts it has some lime stone in the matrix and is the possible cause. Do you have any rocks. What is your source water pH?

Have a gniess day. -Scott

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's some good advice i just did a ph on my water source and it's high around 8.0 I guess the main cause it's because I live in an area that has lots of natural limestone

·
Registered
12,411 Posts
Yup! Limestone =High PH and hard water. Some find that a drag but on the other hand with all that limestone to buffer your water, you can throw most any wood in and the PH will not even flinch! But if you are looking at growing/breeding some soft water fish, you might want to reconsider. I never find fighting that battle to be my game. Nature has a way of outlasting my best efforts.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I guess I know the cause now for my high ph. I'm fairly new to this hobby but I'm really exited about how I learn new things every day about aquariums.

·
Registered
2,317 Posts
Well, on the upside, probably most of the stores in your area also have hard water, including fish that are acclimated to it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts