The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
5,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Solaris LED Hood PFO lighting Inc > Home ( DNN 4.0.3 )

Have you guys seens this fixture? It's major $$$.

The current design produces PAR light output levels equal to a 250W MH 20K. It uses 40% less energy than the Metal Halide Fixtures it replaces. The life of the LED's is 50,000 hours, so it almost eliminates metal halide and fluorescent bulb replacements.

There is a built in microprocessor that controls the Solaris. This not only eliminates timers, but it allows the unit to dim the actinic blue LEDs, white LEDs, Lunar actinic blue LEDs and Lunar White LEDS independently from 0-100%. This dimming capability opens many opportunities. The light can be adjusted from 6.5K to 22K, or anywhere in between, to set the ideal color temperature. Sunrise, Daylight, Cloud Cover, Sunset, and the lunar cycle, can all be set independently.

Listings: https://www.pfolighting.com/solaris-buy-now.aspx

·
Banned
582 Posts
I saw those a few months ago in a fish magazine. THEY ARE SO AWESOME! Maybe one day I'll have them! LOL

·
Are these real?
15,720 Posts
The weird thing is that I am somewhat disappointed that the efficiency isn't better. Always thought LEDs would be several times more efficient than regular fluorescents/metal halides, but if you have touched a 3W LED you know that they are not exactly running cool! So while 40% is great, I am not throwing out my T5s yet. ;)

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Actually its effeciency is pi$$ poor if you are looking at cost/par :eek: :icon_lol:

I wonder also wich metalhalide they compared it with, some are much better than others! 20K??? I havent seen a 20,000K MH that put put respectable numbers, but something like the iwasaki 6500K 250W puts out 2X-3X more par than most 20,000k's so thier goes thier comparison!:icon_cry: :thumbsdow I dont think LED technology is there yet nor is the pricing even reasonable... but eventually it porbably will be.

·
Registered
93 Posts
yeah these things are gonna plummet in price once the high output led's become more commonplace. i want one....

·
PT Biologist
3,220 Posts
My LEDs are not the same, they are centered on the photosynthetic wavelengths. I have to add a white light source to see anything in the tank. I can say, however, that even without the white light source the plants grow great. Even foreground plants. My white light fixture burned out and it took me a couple months to fix it, meanwhile the plants never skipped a beat.

Also, my thread is a supplement to the thread it links to in the first post, which is where you will find most of the technical information.

I have a second of my type of LED bar over my emersed crypts. Those plants look super happy.

·
Registered
93 Posts
interesting work guys. led's are the future for aquariums i think. led panel's might even work better, but they're not high output yet. anyone see these? i used to work with them, they're like a super thin material between metal and plastic that wholly illuminates.

·
Registered
476 Posts
That would be fantastic with the photosynethic wavength red LEDs. And maybe a couple of white ones to see the fish too.

What are the chances of having a plant fixture like that soon? Or right now even?

Pretty amazing too how you can just dial in the K rating you want without having to buy specific bulbs.

·
Banned
3,297 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
It's amazing thinking what adjusting the K rating allows you to do, things otherwise impossible with standard tubes or bulbs.

You can simulate a more natural day by graduating it (as well as fading up & down) from a more warmer 'morning' K up to a cooler 'midday' K then back again for evening 'sunset'.

This would be more natural for fish as well as plants I think. These type of computer controlled LED fixtures are revolutionary.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts