The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am in the planning phase for an extra 10g that I have lying around. So I started going through all my supplies, gadgets, gear and junk to see just what all I have and what I still need.

Low and behold, I am real low on Ferts. Time to order some more.

I've always used SeaChem products and like them very much, but now I see this pfertz line that's out.

What are you opinions on ferts?

pfertz or SeaChem?

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
I prefer the pfertz line but that's a personal thing as I think there about even.

Pfertz costs less in the long run as there three bottles last longer than the Flourish line but they do not have a C02 product so you still end up using Excel. Seachem is easier to get locally but Pfertz pump bottles are loads better than Seachem's poor and pray caps (better to use a pipette).

I like the results from both products but pfertz ease of use make it the winner for me.

- Brad

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I prefer the pfertz line but that's a personal thing as I think there about even.

Pfertz costs less in the long run as there three bottles last longer than the Flourish line but they do not have a C02 product so you still end up using Excel. Seachem is easier to get locally but Pfertz pump bottles are loads better than Seachem's poor and pray caps (better to use a pipette).

I like the results from both products but pfertz ease of use make it the winner for me.

- Brad
I agree with you about the "pour and pray" method of the bottle caps that SeaChem uses. Personally, I went to my local drug store and asked them for a 1ml and a 5 ml syringe (without the needles of course) and that is what I use to measure my dosing. The 5ml is used to measure out how much AmQuel+ I need to use during water changes. (Local tap water contains chloramines)

About the pfertz root tabs.
How long to they last?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I use Pfertz and can say that I am more than happy with them. I do however, still use Seachem Iron, and Excel on my nano tank. The slick look, as well as the simplicity and the over-all results makes Pfertz my vote.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I use Pfertz and can say that I am more than happy with them. I do however, still use Seachem Iron, and Excel on my nano tank. The slick look, as well as the simplicity and the over-all results makes Pfertz my vote.
Why are you still using Seachem Iron? Unless I read the web site wrong, doesn't pfertz offer an Iron supplement? Or is that just throught the root tabs?

P.S. Still. How long to the root tabs last (apx)

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I started using Flourish. Just switched to Pfertz. Seems easier and you can buy large refills that are relatively economical for the long-term. Not nearly as economical as dry fertz for sure, but I'm still in the keep it simple beginner stage.

So far, the plants still grow as fast as I can trim them.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I started using Flourish. Just switched to Pfertz. Seems easier and you can buy large refills that are relatively economical for the long-term. Not nearly as economical as dry fertz for sure, but I'm still in the keep it simple beginner stage.

So far, the plants still grow as fast as I can trim them.
Good to know, but I am still wondering how long the root tabs last..

·
Registered
91 Posts
Thanks for the kind words, folks! :icon_bigg

JoePhish - our root tabs are time-release, and typically last 3-4 months. Our root tabs are also pretty iron-rich at 15% total iron, and each tab covers approx 45sq in. I guess its probably time to put that info on our website :icon_redf

Regarding iron supplementation, in addition to root tabs, our micros contains low levels of iron. Most tanks do well with our iron levels, but there are definitely tanks out there that need more. It really boils down to an individual tank's needs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.