The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Recently, say maybe three weeks ago, there was a similar discusion about an odd plant the Petco sells. Seems that they have a Cryptacoryne which
doesn't exactly match anything else out there and as such seems to be a crypt that they may have(accidentally or otherwise)bred and are selling.
Someone named it the Cryptocoryne Petco. Caught my attention because I had just bought one three weeks before that discussion.
This may turn out to be the "Echinodorus Petsmart"...LOL...
Really I have a directory of plants and there is none in there which have anything of a last name which might be abriviated spp.
The list is fairly long too, but I doubt even close to being complete.
Look through them for yourself but remember it's not complete.
http://www.aqua-fish.net/index.php?...sto=not&rozmnozovanie=not&povod=not&speed=not

Just thought of something else... copy and paste each name they do have and clic on "Find your aquarium plants" and put it in there as that section has pictures if you cilc on the name.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Spp stands for species pluralis, or multiple species. That's probably how the label all of their swords because they sell multiple species
Sorry, but you got this wrong. Spp means Subspecies. A species that is a little different but still considered the same plant. For example There is Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia purpurea spp. venosa.
Besides, the only swords I've seen in the plastic bags are E. osirus, E. uruguayensis, E. 'ozelot', and E. 'bleheri'.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Sorry, but you got this wrong. Spp means Subspecies. A species that is a little different but still considered the same plant. For example There is Sarracenia purpurea and Sarracenia purpurea spp. venosa.
Besides, the only swords I've seen in the plastic bags are E. osirus, E. uruguayensis, E. 'ozelot', and E. 'bleheri'.
Looking through different websites and google, spp is used to refer to multiple species. Heres a quote from a website:

"The abbreviation, spp, is botanical shorthand for multiple species. So, if you see "Paspalum spp." it means that the reference is for more than one Paspalum species. A similar and likely more familiar shorthand is the abbreviation, p, for page and, pp, for pages."

You're thinking of ssp, which stands for subspecies not spp.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Looking through different websites and google, spp is used to refer to multiple species. Heres a quote from a website:

"The abbreviation, spp, is botanical shorthand for multiple species. So, if you see "Paspalum spp." it means that the reference is for more than one Paspalum species. A similar and likely more familiar shorthand is the abbreviation, p, for page and, pp, for pages."

You're thinking of ssp, which stands for subspecies not spp.
I'm sorry, you're right

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.