The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
I just tortured my snail in the name of science/curiosity. I am the Cynical Fish Guy after all. I was writing a review of my "Mystery Snail" for Petsmart, and I could not help being a because I naturally am one.

I first brought up the famous misnomer of their corydora trillineatus erroneosly sold as corydora juli, and then I hammered home the failure to properly identify their mystery snails. In doing so I occupied myself with the comparisons and contrasting of two Apple Snail species; Pomacea Canaliculata and Pomacea Bridgesii, in my research of the snail I decided to take the snail out of it's tank to better study the sutures of the snail shell. In doing so I began to hypothesize that the blue Mystery Snail sold to me, is neither of the aforementioned species but is in fact Pomacea diffusa. I did this after I finished my diatribe review of course. While studying the shell the slimey actually came out of its shell as I was trying to observe the sutures. I was wondering if anyone else has tried to correctly identify their "Mystery Snail", and could verify the genus of the snail sold by PETSMART. I have the blue variety, and a wild guess of mine is that several species may be sold by PETSMART under the collected name of "Mystery Snail".... My snail likes blanched greens, but has eaten a part of a java fern leaf, though the leaf may actually have been dying before it was chomped on. I have witness no other live plants being eaten. Some of the stem plants are uprooted from time to time though. The snail has a hefty appetite that I've been feeding blanched swiss chard to. Today I added an eggshell into the aquarium and the snail pounced on it, quickly I might add. I do have a platy that likes to nip at the snail, but the platy doesn't seem to be causing any serious harm, other than annoyance to the snail. The shell size of the snail is slightly larger than a ping pong ball at the moment.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, but I need to know specifics. I want TAXONOMY :angryfire....even if Taxonomy keeps changing, because it does all the time. I learned that while taking non-avian Herpetology at UC Davis...By the end of the quarter, some animals had different classifications, and scientists learned all iguanadons had some form of venom....but that is a different topic for a different day, for a different forum....Although fish were a big part of the class....

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
You are correct with Pomacea diffusa being the mystery snails. Up until a few years ago they were thought to be the same as Pomacea Bridgesii and many still call them such due to that.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Sweet, someone confimed my hypothesis and diligent work. Thank you!

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
also, as for the platy, the snail will learn to pull in it's antenna to avoid having then nipped, and if they do get nipped they will grow back.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yeah, the snail learned that a long while ago... I got it as a lil babe. It was always instictually afraid of the fish. I try and discourage the platy from nipping, but I don't think my tapping of the glass and saying "Stop" is doing much good. Oh well. Thanks again

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
yeah, the snail learned that a long while ago... I got it as a lil babe. It was always instictually afraid of the fish. I try and discourage the platy from nipping, but I don't think my tapping of the glass and saying "Stop" is doing much good. Oh well. Thanks again

I'll lend you my 4 year old - she yells at fish and tells them to stop it and go to their room.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
funny! very funny. That bundle is all yours :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts