The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...has anyone checked recently? PetSmart.com no longer carries the AquaClear HOB filters?

Weird...or am I looking in the wrong place?

·
Registered
408 Posts
Aww, that's disturbing. Do you have a Petland in your area? I know they carry them. Not sure on PetCo, though. Bummer.

·
Registered
1,878 Posts
Arrgghh. It's getting to where even if you want to support a local business (although PetsMart is far from local) you can't.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yeah I hear it has something to do with a canadian store chains they purchaced having major stock in one of the compeating brands. Or something of that nature. I'd expect all AC supplies to clear off the shelves.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
wow that's lame. i wonder if they are going to continue carrying the media instore like online.
I like the AC's because 1 (or 2) sponges will last for years if you just squeeze them out when the flow diminishes. The foam blocks also make good pre filters are a quick way to cycle a tank. Guess that makes them too much of a good thing as the secondary market for media would be weaker than the "replace everything" alternatives.

·
Registered
890 Posts
Go to www.bigalsonline.com and buy them from there. Best price you can find. They still sell the AC HOBs at local petsmart stores but they are $11 more than the big als price.

Bigalsonline is awesome.

-Ryan

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
yea they match everything but there own online pricing. i tried to print out a petsmart.com price sheet and get the discount but they weren't having it haha
huh? thats BS they are supose to match Any printed or online price. that does include their own. if they tell you other wise ask to speak to a manager. If they continue to deny you ask if they would like for you to call corperate for them so they can get some training on company policy.

·
Premium Member
9,417 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
huh? thats BS they are supose to match Any printed or online price. that does include their own. if they tell you other wise ask to speak to a manager. If they continue to deny you ask if they would like for you to call corperate for them so they can get some training on company policy.
Not any online price. Only their site (official policy). Some stores will match other sites, but YMMV. They match any printed ad too. Not on livestock though.

My petsmart has them too!

I just bought a 30
Maybe they're slowly phasing them out...online first, then the stores? Shrug.

·
Registered
314 Posts
yeah I hear it has something to do with a canadian store chains they purchaced having major stock in one of the compeating brands. Or something of that nature. I'd expect all AC supplies to clear off the shelves.
They recently bought Super Pet. This was the Hagen retail distributor store around here. It meant that Aquaclear, Fluval and their respective lines were all sold at a huge discount. Hagen has been wanting to get out of the retail store and focus on wholesale for awhile now. But now Petsmart has those Hagen stores, so it would seem like they could get an even better price on all the Hagen merchandise. I wonder why they stopped selling it?

Narhay

·
Registered
7 Posts
howdy all,
i manage a local petland. Hagen used to be distributed by central pet. central owns damn near everyone. all-glass and oceanic + many many others. Hagen has recently pulled most of its merchandise from central, and petsmart is almost 100% stocked by central. As for petland we still carry all hagen products. It just makes it a pain in the ass to carry hagen now.

·
Registered
1,394 Posts
what derangedjester said.. in other terms, hagen has gone direct. stores cannot purchase hagen products through their normal supplier and get discounts on them offering customers decent prices. now hagen is forcing retailers to go directly through them and be forced to pay higher prices in turn, charging more. i manage a local petland too. :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts