The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The other day I was visiting Petsmart, and noticed in their cultivated plants (the ones that come in a sealed bag) that they had a plant they was simply labeled Anubias var. Nana... what I noticed, though, was the plant was hardly 4-5cm across, about the size of petite, with very small leaves. Was it simply a juvenile Nana, or a Petite? Forgive me for asking; I've never seen a juvenile Nana plant; I've only seen them grown from splitting the rhizome.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've never had Anubias Petites but I can say that the PetSmart Anubias are not tiny. I bought two of those packs you are referring to in January this year. Look at my signature for pics. In any case the ones at the bottom of the tank and get less light have doubled in size with larger leaves and stems. The one up near the light attached to driftwood has gotten bigger but the leaves are stems are much smaller (maybe 2 - 3 inches across).

All that being said I've been very happy with those plants. With zero ferts, some flourish excel, and 9 hours of a stock fluval light I get 1-2 new leaves a week on each plant.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've never had Anubias Petites but I can say that the PetSmart Anubias are not tiny. I bought two of those packs you are referring to in January this year. Look at my signature for pics. In any case the ones at the bottom of the tank and get less light have doubled in size with larger leaves and stems. The one up near the light attached to driftwood has gotten bigger but the leaves are stems are much smaller (maybe 2 - 3 inches across).

All that being said I've been very happy with those plants. With zero ferts, some flourish excel, and 9 hours of a stock fluval light I get 1-2 new leaves a week on each plant.
The ones I saw were smaller than those - they were about the size of a half-dollar. However, if they're just juvenile Nanas, I'll ignore them. Been having trouble finding Petites.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I've got quite a few A. barteri var. nana 'Petite'. The individual Petite plants range from less than the size of a quarter to probably half dollar size for the overall plant. I have seen and had little baby nanas but they continue to put out larger leaves as the develop until they are the typical nana size.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've got quite a few A. barteri var. nana 'Petite'. The individual Petite plants range from less than the size of a quarter to probably half dollar size for the overall plant. I have seen and had little baby nanas but they continue to put out larger leaves as the develop until they are the typical nana size.
Any suggestions on where to pick some up? Online retailers all seem to be constantly out of stock, and merchants are sporadic at best for it.

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I got most of mine through a random person here that was selling them in a package with a few of each nana and A. afzelii. I think I wound up with abt 15-18 Petites from that deal. I got several more through Gordon.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts