The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all,
Well after college graduation i got a nice source of income from family anf friends :) . Rather than use my smarts and use the money for my future success like suites and such. I went out and spent on other important things like a set up for a new tank!

I decided to go with a tall tank and wanted it smaller than my former 55std tank. The only draw back was finding a tank sold here that had good depth to it with the hieght and less gallons without customization costs. I had np luck in the hunt and went with the 36"x12"x25" Oceanview tank.

I had the tank custom drilled at a local shop to put bulkheads for my intake and outflow part. I since filled it up and its been sitting for about two weeks without any leaks. I am only hoping with things running i dont run into problems or major adjustments will have to be made. I am undecided on what to do with a background, or just leave it be.

I had to order the stand i wanted because the color black was not offered in stock at a LFS. Its been about three weeks and praying it comes in this Friday.

I went with the Tek 36" T5 fixture as my source of light. The guys at Reefgeek.com really did their part in packing and customer service. There was a mix up with the shipping address and they quickly tracked and made things right(UPS fault). With the fixture I have 2-GE 6700k 39W bulbs and 2-10000k 39W aguasun bulbs from UV lighting.
I plan on cunstructing a light brace to hang the light from simular to that of a fellow member here "Jeffboyarrdee". I have to give him credit because its his design!!!!

I ordered the ADA aquasoil and Powersand special M from aquariumdesigngroup.com located here in Texas. They shipped fast and packed well!! They also sent me some past issues of the Aquajournal and the recent "The Style of ADA" catalog.

I have order some Old Black Wood and misc. ADA items from AquaForestAquarium.com. Very helpfull when i gave them a call to see what size woods would best fit my limited space of aquascaping! Waiting to recieve these items in the mail.

Nothing is set up yet because i am still waiting for the stand to come in and currently in the process of buying the light brace materials and constructing it.

So heres some pics and a start of what i have for the tank. Ill be posting pics as this tanks comes together. Hopefully this wil turn out and see good results.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
45Gal under its leak test. Dontm ind the stuff in the background, thats future Goodwill donations! :)

Ill be keeping updates as soon as things move along.

·
Registered
1,274 Posts
nice start!! how much you bought for the Tek and bulbs for it?

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanx :)

it totaled around $300 with shipping. I dont know if they are still offering but when i bought it they gave free the two GE 6700k bulbs. I thought it was a great deal.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Teks, Aquasoil, powersand, old black wood, Woohoo!
Thanks for sharing the experience with ADG.

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi all,
I was iced in today due to horrible weather down here. Cars were covered with about 1/2" thick ice blanket and work was cancelled. So I decided to get started with paiting the background on this tank.

I used flat black oild based paint, 3" brush, and blue painters tape. I should have used a bigger brush but oh well.

Heres some pics of my winter day accomplishment. :)
Supplies used

laying out the painters tape on the edges and around the equipment to avoid a sloppy mess

Half wway through the job, i applied several coats with time to dry between them

The final product left to dry with painters tape still on it

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
This is a difficult size to scape. For all the planning, I hope you have some good plans for the scape design also. Front to back, you have only a comperable space to my 18 gallon tank.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
Good old Texan ice. They cancel school around here if someone throws an ice cube outside.
I am going stir crazy locked in the house though!
I never tried a painted on background, it looks nice.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Sucks no?

Good old Texan ice. They cancel school around here if someone throws an ice cube outside.
I am going stir crazy locked in the house though!
I never tried a painted on background, it looks nice.
Things are even shut down here in Uvalde. A little bit of ice and everyone down here loses their cool :eek:
J

·
Registered
930 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Steven: Right you are! I knew this the second I saw the tank. I had a 55gal with about the same width as this 45. I never really put too much efforts into the layout of that tank(55) but i managed pretty well with what i had. So with this one, I hope the old black wood coming in will work with it. Carefull selection of plants and a bit of patience is all im rolling on right now!

I didnt have much of a choice here when it came to slecting the "perfect" tank. Talked to a few guys here at the LFS and they all gave me outrageous prices for getting a tank customized to my liking.

Dufus & jasonp: Glad to see you guys stayed safe during this weather. I live on the far NW side of town i we saw a sleet/snow mixture late in the day and most of the night. Heres what my car looked like this morning.

Last night during the start of some light snow/sleet:

Frozen Jack sportin the Ice:

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
yea, thats what we had, i live on the northside too, a few miles from cb pets.

·
Registered
1,924 Posts
its been freezing cold here in houston and its kept me from getting out too!

looks like you are off to a good start, i just hooked up a tank with ADA stuff too!

·
Registered
15 Posts
Hello

I think you shouln't usa ADA products in sutch aquarium.

ADA products are expencive, and it should be use in a nice aquarium, that give to you xcelente aquascape.

Once you use in your little and very short aquarium, you can never get the same adavantege in a new setup.

So get a good aquarioum, with good wide, 60x30x36cm, or 75x45x45cm, and then you set it up.

the aquarium tank is the cheap think you can get.

In my company Helder Cardoso | Aquarios e Plantas Aquaticas you can see it, and i have all the ADA produtcs.

bye bye

·
Registered
676 Posts
Not true, every tank despite short depths has the same potential for a beautiful scape.

·
Registered
1,880 Posts
I think he's foreign, probally doesn't know english too well.
I think tall scapes are definatly challenging, especially without proper equiptment, therefore the ADA stuff will help with peteybob's project.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts