The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm considering switching my tank to some kind of sand substrate. I was looking at CaribSea naturals, but their so expensive. Petco has a few varieties that are almost 10 dollars cheaper a bag for the same amount.

Anybody know if it would be worth it to go this route instead of the CaribSea? Also would 3 20LB bags be enough for a 55 gallon tank you think?

·
Registered
872 Posts
I'm considering switching my tank to some kind of sand substrate. I was looking at CaribSea naturals, but their so expensive. Petco has a few varieties that are almost 10 dollars cheaper a bag for the same amount.

Anybody know if it would be worth it to go this route instead of the CaribSea? Also would 3 20LB bags be enough for a 55 gallon tank you think?
"Play Sand" from Home Depot is cool and only $3 per 5 lb. bag :)

·
Registered
143 Posts
I used Petco black sand in a spec III and a 5 gallon. I'm happy with it. I use root tabs, Seachem ferts and just started pressurized co2. Everything (crypts, vals, ozelot sword, moneywort) has grown well and seems happy. There are cheaper optoins for sand but I think they all "perform" pretty much the same. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have used Petco white sand and its pretty fine. I would do what others are saying and use blasting sand for black or play sand. Better yet, get pool filter sand. Granuals are bigger, less likely to compact. Super cheap from a pool store too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.