The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I "rescued" 2 bamboo shrimp aka wood shrimp or what have you from their misunderstood Petco prison.

They are now in my 25 tall currently shrimp only tank with a small colony of cherries and some ghosts.

The smaller, ostensibly female is filter feeding like normal. The larger just molted male (guesses) insists on sifting sand.

Yes I know the theory of he's starving but he rarely filters while his partner does so constantly. So clearly enough food is present.

Its making me crazy. Thoughts ?

Also yes I'm aware of the green water issue and am working on it. But since dosing with chems is out as it's a shrimp tank I have to bide my time darn bloom.

Sent from my VS930 4G using Xparent Red Tapatalk 2

·
Registered
5,934 Posts
Sorry, can't help on the filter feeder shrimp. But the ghost shrimp which I had(2) in
my tank/w the RCS found out that when the RCS molt they can catch/eat them.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I recently started keeping a bamboo shrimp in my 15G tall, lightly planted with an angel in an attempt to add some more life to the tank. I also chose a bamboo specifically as the tank has a semi-constant BGA infestation that I figured would keep him pretty well fed (yes, I know there are other ways to correct this, but it seems like a perfect match to sustain him and keep the problem in check).

I've noticed most of the time, he'll feed directly from the flow of the filter, but also spends time specifically going after small clumps of BGA on the substrate. He'll even do this when I specifically add very finely ground up daphnia/spirulina/brine shrimp directly inline with the filter output.

I may not be reading this quite correctly, as I've only had him for about a week now, but I feel like even if there is food available in the water column, they may go to the substrate if they think there is some tastier food there.

Also, judging from the amount of poop he is generating (significantly more than my adult angel), I'm pretty sure his food needs are being well met.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, agreed. They are just there as a temp cleanup crew till I can get some Corydora Habrosus.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well thanks.
This quelled some of my fears.
Was and still am confused why one acts normal and one as if its starving but least I feel better about it.:beer:

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Green algae bloom equals ammo? Not sure about that given I have done several partial water changes and filter cleanings and as always treated with seachem prime.
That particular tank Unfortunantly gets some direct sunlight and was only recently planted.
My theory was too much nutrients via overfeeding allowing the bloom.
The tank is shrimp only and has very little bio-load....
Can't be that surely?
Guess I can check the parameters but given the amount of recent water changes seemed unnecessary?
I'll check tomorrow maybe I'm off base with my theory....I'd be the first to admit I'm not an expert !

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
green water does not equal ammonia. green water means green water, its an algae bloom, you need to cut the lights out or add a uv filter, that would be my route, I use them in all my tanks just to avoid green water. also to chime in on what you say is BGA, this shrimp will probably not be eating the BGA, if you have bga which is really cyanobacteria and not an algae at all, nothing eats it. ethromycin will take it out, or increased oxygen (air pump) will help to deplete it also.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
That makes more sense.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
green water does not equal ammonia. green water means green water, its an algae bloom, you need to cut the lights out or add a uv filter, that would be my route, I use them in all my tanks just to avoid green water. also to chime in on what you say is BGA, this shrimp will probably not be eating the BGA, if you have bga which is really cyanobacteria and not an algae at all, nothing eats it. ethromycin will take it out, or increased oxygen (air pump) will help to deplete it also.
Yes. This tank is slightly prone to it due to its location in the sun.
Got rid of it before, then when I planted live plants this happened. Not sure the 9 watt model I could stomach buying would help ?

·
Registered
182 Posts
My bamboo shrimp will stop eating for a bit if they're preparing to molt. Also, odd thing, but my bamboo shrimp will also eat cucumber if I sink a slice in their tank. They'll shred it, so they're not just picking off microorganisms. Basically, what I'm saying is I don't think we have all the feeding answers for these guys, and maybe the whole fanning thing is overrated in some instances.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Could be. With mine 1 fans and the one that recently molted wanders about picking at substrate. Guess he didn't read the book on his species on how to be a bamboo shrimp.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I used to pay careful attention to whether or not my shrimp was picking or fanning. I just ended up dumping a lot of extra nutrients in the water column and plaguing myself with algae.

Nowadays, I never use liquid food and my shrimp fans or picks as he will, and I can't say he seems to mind it either way.

To add to Brynna's point, when I do see him picking at the substrate he's often picking at decaying plant leaves that fell to the bottom of the tank.

Edit: Also, I just picked up a second, tiny little bamboo shrimp today at PetCo for my other 20 gallon. There's floating particles everywhere, yet he immediately jumped on some water lettuce roots and started picking at them.

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guess I have one picker and one fan user lol

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update.

Larger shrimp does occasionally filter feed yet seems to prefer picking through the substrate. Lucky for him it's sand.
Smaller shrimp never picks only filters.
What an odd pair lol

·
Registered
181 Posts
I have a few of these myself. Be careful to watch them as picking usually means they are not getting enough through filtering. When I was new to keeping them I though the same thing. Picker ended up starving and dieing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,051 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a few of these myself. Be careful to watch them as picking usually means they are not getting enough through filtering. When I was new to keeping them I though the same thing. Picker ended up starving and dieing.

Sent from my SM-N900P using Tapatalk
The larger one has started fanning finally. I was beginning to give up on him adapting.

Sent from my BN NookHD+ using Xparent Green Tapatalk 2

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.