The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
217 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Maybe this is a dumb question but do most plants that come from Petco suck and die? Every one I have bought melted away. That was question #1.
#2 I need a decent 6 plants that I can buy somewhere and know they are going to grow well. Any ideas?
Thanks all

·
Registered
300 Posts
What lights, substrate, ferts are you using ???

Some Petco plants aren't truly aquatic. Some should be fine.

Anubias, Java Fern, Java Moss should all work. BUT all need to be attached rocks or driftwood. Not "planted".

·
Registered
4,391 Posts
as Coursair said, unfortunately most of the plants Petco sells are not aquatic plants. I have seen several species of Crypt. (always just noted as assorted crypt), rotala rotundifolia, anachris, various swords that are true aquatic plants. Crypt.'s most likely melt when put in your tank, they do not like water parameter changes, just leave it be, take the melted leaves out and wait for it to start growing again.

There are plenty of online vendors that sell plants, though reviews on the website are prohibited. And you can look in the forums swap and shop for inexpensive plants that are in prime condition.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Anubias, water wisteria, swords - I have had ok luck with all of them even from the tubes at petco.

Just be ready for some of the leaves to die off (trim them) and to wait a little while for the plant to rebound and readjust.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I would like to know what 3 is as well, I have it in my tank.
1. Crypt
2. Dwaf onion OR MONDO grass (take it back)
3. I have (dont know what it is)
4 same as above

·
Registered
544 Posts
Just fyi PetSmarts have started getting in real aquatic plants in white bags. There are about 8 different kinds I believe and depending on your setup, you can successfully grow all of them. A LPS is almost always the way to go anyways.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.