The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever used it? Pros and cons would be appreciated.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I appreciate the threads but neither talk about petco brand black sand. One mentions petco gravel but I'm not interested in that. Thanks for trying though. Any other input?

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have it in my 6.6gal,

Only had it for a couple of weeks but so far, so good. (I don't have any soil or anything underneath it though 'cause I'm a newb and didn't know you are supposed to do that for planted tanks!) My crypts are doing really well in particular. All the ones in there actually came from one small pot, had to split them a few times already.

My favorite part about it though is that is was really clean. I rinsed it a little in a bucket but I don't think that is even necessary with this sand. Very little dust. Water cleared up in no time!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah I'm interested in it mostly for granules size. I dont wabt gravel but pfs packs down too tight and locks gas under which rots out roots if u dont stir it. Thanks for the photo that's a beautiful tank and don't do a bottom layer of soil its a huge mess root tabs work great and I home make mine so they're really cheap. Like $20 for a years supply for a 125 gallon tank!

·
Registered
173 Posts
Go with diamond black blasting sand it is the same stuff. Make sure you get the larger grain version Tractor Supply carries the stuff. It is $8 for a 50lb bag.
Thanks for the tip. Will strongly consider.

Was considering Flourite black sand, but they want $20 for a bag of 17-19LBS.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Is it large grain? I need large grain to keep it from compacting. I've also heard sand blasting sand is sharp, I have at least 20 corydoras and a 7" Synodontis so...

·
Registered
240 Posts
i kept corys and a horsehead loach that loved to burrow in it with no troubles id suggest not getting the smallest grain size it will work but dont try to vacume it or you wont have none left

·
Banned
934 Posts
Is it large grain? I need large grain to keep it from compacting. I've also heard sand blasting sand is sharp, I have at least 20 corydoras and a 7" Synodontis so...
There are different grain sizes they are marked on the bottom of the bag. The largest being about the grain size of flourite black sand. A hair bigger then pool filter sand. Definitely stays put and doesn't float around. I have a 1050 gph powerhead blowing directly across a patch of the sand on my substrate to keep it nice and clear and it never knocks particles lose. Doesn't compact at all even the smallest size. People don't realize compacting happens when you have several different sizes as they all fit together kind of like a puzzle. However when it comes to a substrate that's particles are all the same size they will not compact.

As far as cories and the other catfish go. I have close to 20 cories and 13 loaches. I have not had a single issue. They all have nice healthy barbels. My cories have even spawned several times. Very cool to watch by the way.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ok do you think the granules are 3mm? I'm more interested in petco brand...

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just put some black colored activ flora planted substrate in the 20 long tank I bought yesterday. If its disturbed your tank turns cloudy black for a while :/. My 55gal terrarium has the brown planted subtrate in it and it did that for a while

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hmm I wonder what its made of

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I have used the Petco sand substrate and have had pretty good success with it. When I washed it prior to putting it in I found almost no dust in it. When I added water it did not cloud up at all. For plant purposes, it is inert as far as I know, and the price is a bit high for what you get, but I have had no problems with it at all.

·
Registered
465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Cool that helps I'm wondering what it is like ceramic coated quartz or if its painted. Wish they had that on the packaging! BTW welcome to the forum guys I see a lot of newbs on here :) great to have more enthusiasts.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts