The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got tired of using crumbly stratum that will dirty up my water but I still wanted something dark colored to accentuate their natural colors and saw this at Petco. This is for a tank that won't have any plants in it besides some moss.

Anybody know if it's actually black sand or regular sand that's been dyed?

Will it significantly affect my water chemistry, and if so how can I account for the changes?

Ingredient Drink Cuisine Dish Wood

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
That's really good to know :icon_surp I don't need any of the fancier substrates to buffer my PH so this stuff is ideal for me!
To be extra safe consider giving PETCO a call and ask a sales rep quickly. If it is black make sure you rinse it a lot so it becomes you remove all the particles!

·
Registered
342 Posts
i bought that same thing today for my crs, cause having a bare-bottom tank was a bad idea.. it was easy to rinse, not much dust and unwanted particles, and they have some weight. so, that means they don't float that much (sand bubbles)..

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
i bought that same thing today for my crs, cause having a bare-bottom tank was a bad idea.. it was easy to rinse, not much dust and unwanted particles, and they have some weight. so, that means they don't float that much (sand bubbles)..
How come you didn't like the bare bottom tank? Granted I have two bare bottom 10 gallons for RCS and yellows and not CRS.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I have this sand in one of my planted betta tanks, I like it a lot. I did rinse it but it really wasn't dusty or dirty at all and settles VERY quickly. I'm pretty sure it's black sand - not painted. I haven't had any problems with paint chipping anyway, and I do frequent water changes (50% 2x/week). Haven't had any issues with gas pockets, either.

I think you will be happy with it if you decide to use it!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.