The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about setting up a nano shrimp tank using the 6.6 bookshelf aquarium (24×8×9).
If I decide to go ahead with this tank what type of substrate and lighting do you recommend?
I am thinking about trying to carpet with either S. Repens or Dwarf baby tears. Then have Dwarf sag growing on one end to make a taller forest similiar to how vals look in a bigger aquarium.

·
Registered
1 Posts
no replies?

I would recommend it based on mine. I have 6 'whisker' shrimp and 8 WCMM (or more as fry keep showing up). The only downside is the difficulty in upgrading the light.

Substrate can be anything. I have about an inch of flora-max (flourite) substrate and the S. Repens does fine. It was growing fast enough to be trimmed every week before I added the shrimp and got an algae outbreak. This happened when I switched from straight RO (ph 6.8) to RO and tap water (ph 7.0). Had it going for almost a year now with slow growth even with using Excel.

It is not going to be direct fit to upgrade the lights unless you want an open top. I retrofitted the hood with a couple led lights for 6 watts. I found Aqueon led at local petsmart on clearance for $5 so i made it work. Could do the same for under $50 off of Amazon.

Also if you use the HOB filter that comes with the tank then get "Sponge Filter for XY-2831/2830" as it perfectly fits over the intake.

I'll try to attach pics if it works.

Attachments

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I ended up going with the Aqua top 6.5 gallon bookshelf aquarium. HCA6G
It will be here Friday and I ordered a 9L bag of ADA aqua soil amazonia for it. Will probably start a new build thread once I start.

Reactions: proper.noun
1 - 3 of 3 Posts