The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Before I started making random phone calls, I thought that some of you knowledgeable about the area might be able to help.

I have quite a few juvenile Geosesarma terrestrial crabs that I produced in my two tanks. I thought that I had someone interested in the whole lot for resale, but that may have changed. I would like to trade these with a pet store for credit towards fish supplies. Their care is straightforward and they make very easy, low maintenance pets - but I want to make sure they go to a place that has an attentive staff.

Anyway - if you know of any recommendations of places I can contact, please pass them along.

Also - if you are in the NYC area and want to give them a try - I would love to trade them for some aquatic plants when the time comes. Or, I can make someone local a deal on a group of youngsters.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Hiya,

You might try Pet Goods on Central ave. I spoke with them a while ago and they said they'd buy baby bristlenose plecos from me. I never followed up because I traded them to Zoorama, on E. Tremont ave in the BX, and you might want to try them too.

Also, those crabs look super duper cool and I would give you many plants for them.

·
Registered
1,511 Posts
They do look super cool. While I dont have many plants to trade. (unless you want a bunch of asian ambulia) I would love to buy one or two :D

·
Registered
380 Posts
I've been debating making the jump to Vampire crabs for months.... and now you tease me with this. Your EBI looks amazing. I may have to pick your brain :D

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hiya,

You might try Pet Goods on Central ave. I spoke with them a while ago and they said they'd buy baby bristlenose plecos from me. I never followed up because I traded them to Zoorama, on E. Tremont ave in the BX, and you might want to try them too.

Also, those crabs look super duper cool and I would give you many plants for them.
Thanks for the advice. I will check them out. I have a number of babies ready, and more growing up - so I would be happy to send some your way for plants in the near future.

They do look super cool. While I dont have many plants to trade. (unless you want a bunch of asian ambulia) I would love to buy one or two :D
Definitely. Even though they are young, they are still pretty straightforward to sex - so I could do my best guess at a pair. Or if you just want one, I recommend a male - as they are larger and brighter colored.

I've been debating making the jump to Vampire crabs for months.... and now you tease me with this. Your EBI looks amazing. I may have to pick your brain :D
Any time. There are tons of really cool plant options for a tank like that, including the miniature orchids which are really cool once blooming.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Gordon. The Red Devils are between 1/4-3/8" inch. The largest one is nearing 1/2 inch - but not quite there. But all are molting regularly and gaining color. At this point they are 3-5 months. The Mandarin crabs are a little larger than a 1/4" and about 3 months. If you think you can give me a hand - shoot me a PM.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If anyone from NYC is interested in these, shoot me a line and I will set some aside. IMO a great, reasonable price for CB crabs.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah. They are terrestrial crabs. They will definitely enter the water area - but need solid substrate to hide and burrow in (or at least large areas of driftwood with nooks and crannies).

·
Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Room temp is perfect. No extra heat needed. In my office tank - I did notice they became less active when the room got into the low 60s before they kicked the heaters on for the winter. Anywhere between upper 60s up to low 80s they will be fine. Lower, you may want to move the tank somewhere warmer.

I am asking $10 each, 4 for $30, 5 or more $7 each

They are young, and will need about 6-8 months to be full size and of breeding age. Color comes in young (at about 1/4 grown they have little red claws), and gets better with each molt if supplemented with carotenoids in food.

The biggest are about 9 mm carapace length. Smallest 3-4 mm carapace length.

This isn't the first time I have raised them from this size, and I can confidently say that with even the most basic of setups (moist long fiber sphagnum and some kind of cover - leaf litter, driftwood, etc) and food with enough calcium - they will do very well for you.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts