The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys... I've found a lot of small snails in many of my plants.. pls suggest some ways to remove them without affecting my baby shrimps

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
262 Posts
Maybe a snail trap. Add a small bowl or something similar that is aquarium safe and add food. Once a bunch of snails are on it, remove the item. Everything else I can think of would also kill the shrimp. Do you just not like the look of them? In my experience I find them to be invaluable to the ecosystem but I get that some just don’t want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Maybe a snail trap. Add a small bowl or something similar that is aquarium safe and add food. Once a bunch of snails are on it, remove the item. Everything else I can think of would also kill the shrimp. Do you just not like the look of them? In my experience I find them to be invaluable to the ecosystem but I get that some just don’t want them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Won't they eat my plants???

Sent from my GM1911 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
75g, 33L, 2g and play tanks
276 Posts
they aren't that bad, they won't eat healthy plants. I leave them in my two larger tanks. In one they just don't get that crazy, I think mostly my pleco eats the eggs on the glass where they mostly lay and if larvae happen I suspect other fish get those so they don't get out of hand. In the other I decided to toss in a hand full of assassin snails. just circle of life that tank. all though I am currently looking for a BN pleco for that tank. I am tired of cleaning the glass of the eggs.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I love my "pest" snails! They eat all the algae off the healthy plant leaves allowing the plant to grow better and only eat the dead foliage. I am sure my tank would be green with algae if it weren't for my pond snails.

P.S. If you must get rid of them the snails love zucchini. Use it to bait the above described snail trap.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
they aren't that bad, they won't eat healthy plants. I leave them in my two larger tanks. In one they just don't get that crazy, I think mostly my pleco eats the eggs on the glass where they mostly lay and if larvae happen I suspect other fish get those so they don't get out of hand. In the other I decided to toss in a hand full of assassin snails. just circle of life that tank. all tho I am currently looking for a BN pleco for that tank. I am tired of cleaning the glass of the eggs.
Last night I went in the room with the tank with assassin snails a few hours after lights out last night; decided to check the tank. There were a million (probably 100-150) snails in there, I guess they hid much better than I thought in the gravel. so going to get a pleco to help because I have some Otos but they won't eat the eggs. and going to do an intense clean out of the substrate. or I'll do shallow gravel vacs at night might be the best idea since they come to the top on their own at night.

Generally I still like them, but this is too many. They are good at cleaning up in between my water lilies which I have a pretty full coverage with those, mostly they are one giant clump there are that many.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Since we're on the subject... do pest snails go dormant when you shut down a tank and remove the water or do they die off?

·
Registered
53 Posts
Since we're on the subject... do pest snails go dormant when you shut down a tank and remove the water or do they die off?
Anecdotally, I've seen them survive somehow.

I had a quarantine tank (10 gallon) for getting new fish that had a large population of pest snails in it. Once my main tank was fully stocked, I tore down the quarantine tank. Picked it up in my garage for 3-4 months. I recently planned on getting some new fish, so I took it back and filled it up to let it cycle. Sure enough, I noticed the little guys out and about again after a few days. No idea how they survived all that time.

·
Registered
276 Posts
pulled gravel out and put it in a 5g bucket, at the bottom there was apparently still moisture months later and there were living snails in the gravel. Not sure at what depths they were a live, but it was half a bucket of gravel.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Thought some on this thread may have interest in a video of a assassin snail taking down a bladder snail. If a snail is smaller then the assassin, it basically just runs it over and sucks the snail from its shell. It has no problem with trapdoor snails or tough guys like limplets either.

I have wide array of snails in my many tanks but these guys are one of my favs.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Thought some on this thread may have interest in a video of a assassin snail taking down a bladder snail. If a snail is smaller then the assassin, it basically just runs it over and sucks the snail from its shell. It has no problem with trapdoor snails or tough guys like limplets either.

I have wide array of snails in my many tanks but these guys are one of my favs.
what about those mini ramshorn kind that to me are on the same level as bladder and pond. I have noticed they like to float and eat off lilies more than the others(bladder and pond). I figured they just float and store oxygen easier.

anyway, I moved some things around and also last night found out there are a million of these mini ramshorn snails and the things that changed made me up the assassin count from 3 to 6 in this tank. Will they take care of these snails okay? I don't expect them to fix and turn the tide on these snails alone but will they eat this type? I am going to clean out some because last night they seemed equal in number to the amount of gravel pieces I could see.

·
Registered
39 Posts
what about those mini ramshorn kind that to me are on the same level as bladder and pond. I have noticed they like to float and eat off lilies more than the others(bladder and pond). I figured they just float and store oxygen easier.

anyway, I moved some things around and also last night found out there are a million of these mini ramshorn snails and the things that changed made me up the assassin count from 3 to 6 in this tank. Will they take care of these snails okay? I don't expect them to fix and turn the tide on these snails alone but will they eat this type? I am going to clean out some because last night they seemed equal in number to the amount of gravel pieces I could see.
Yep, they will eat any type of snail that is smaller then them. MTS is not issue because they stay pretty small. The assassins have some sort or snail radar as I have seem them eat everywhere in the tank; on the bottom they will post up and wait for MTS to come up from substrate, on the the glass and will stay around the rim because they know the bladder snails will come up for air.
Small ramshorns are no issue for the assassin but since their shells are made of chitosan and not calcium their shells will stay in your substrate unless picked out. The small piles of other snail shells eventually dissolve if you are using CO2 and seem to mix in with the substrate over time.

·
Registered
660 Posts
they aren't that bad, they won't eat healthy plants. I leave them in my two larger tanks. In one they just don't get that crazy, I think mostly my pleco eats the eggs on the glass where they mostly lay and if larvae happen I suspect other fish get those so they don't get out of hand. In the other I decided to toss in a hand full of assassin snails. just circle of life that tank. all tho I am currently looking for a BN pleco for that tank. I am tired of cleaning the glass off the eggs.
Are BN plecos reliable consumers of snail eggs? My 55g has a full grown albino BN, and is overrun with assassins. I used to see their eggs on the glass, but not lately now that the BN is full-sized. Will assassins also lay eggs under the substrate when there are predators in the tank? They manage to keep reproducing....

In my 75g the MTS started taking off, so I added one assassin in the hopes it'll eat the MTS but not reproduce like they did in the other tank. But they're parthogenetic, so no guarantees there. Wish my angels would eat them. Had a pea puffer early on that did a a great job keeping the population in check, but left the MTS in the substrate to do their thing. But he turned into a surly teenager who started nipping fins and had to be sent to juvenile detention at the fish store he came from.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts