The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Are you only planning on running it every so often, like once a week or twice a month? My only concern if that was the scenario is stagnant water. Or are you thinking of running it every day or so to polish for an hour?

·
Registered
2,601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Betowess,

Actually I had forgotten about the stagnant water/bacteria build up, but I think that as long as I flush the vortex for a couple of minutes when I'm done, and then again before I restart--things should be fine. I guess I will just have to try it to see.

To answer Your question though--My Game Plan is to be able to run it--"Whenever"--without a lot of hassle and inconvenience. Figure 4-6 days/month (2-3 days x 2). When I run it now, I usually run it 8-12hrs. then shut it off over night and run it again the next day for the same 8-12hrs. If it gets too clogged, I recharge it and keep going.

I want to install it on my javanicus' setup which is now:

Main Tank A flows into Plant filter flows into common sump. Main Tank B also flows to and from the common sump. Except for feeding the feeder fish--the system is now automated including RO WCs.

I am using the Vortex to filter via Main Tank A, so it takes a lot of time for the floating particles to travel from various parts of the system and get sucked up by the Vortex.

I think a pre and post flush would resolve the stagnant water problem, but I will have to wait and see....:biggrin:

If I could figure out a way to prevent the DE Dump into the system at large I would probably automate it and run it via a Heavy Duty timer daily--But I haven't been able to sort that out. Considering that water flows from one tank to another--I don't want small (or large) amounts of DE getting trapped in other sections and then settling and building up. If anyone has an ingenious idea on that---I'm all ears! :hihi:

·
Registered
674 Posts
you could try having the vortex run on a closed loop and then have some ballvalves that introduce it to the input/ouput of the tank. this way you turn the vortex on its own loop, and when the powder has stuck you switch it to maintain suction so there is no dump at startup

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.