The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
So I have 60 cm or 2 feet long by 35 cm or 14 inch deep tank on a cabinet of the same size. Now I actually want to replace this tank with one that is slightly deeper, 40 cm or 16 inches. Do I need to replace the cabinet as well or can I just place a 2 inch thick plate of wood on top of this cabinet?
View attachment 1027919
Would it hold the weight of the new aquarium or will lead it cracks on the sides? Is there a chance the cabinet won't hold the weight?
In my opinion it should! I know others are probably afraid to tell you so but its all about the cabinet strength. Is it sturdy enough? if you already had a tank with almost the same measurements on it and just wondering if it will hold since it will be coming over the front and back then yes it probably will! With your 2inch thick panel in between im very certain it will be fine. Do a weight test if you want peace of mind. 2 inches is insane. im fairly certain an inch would do but better be on the safe side. Like i said if the cabinet holds the weight and the 2" plank is solid it should hold it without problems. Hope you all the best with your new tank!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I think it's sturdy enough, I don't really know how to check or calculate what weight it can hold. It's a custom made cabinet from hollow iron beams and pinewood (I think). If anyone has knowledge on how to calculate the weight bearing capacity, please let me know.

How would I do a weight test? Just place the plate and something on top that's about a 100 or so kg?
Yep.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts