The Planted Tank Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
never had corys breed before but now that they have I think I need to remove the eggs to a breeder box or net-- I have these dam beuons aris tetras that I know will make quick work of the eggs
Whats the safest way to remove them from the glass?

·
Registered
901 Posts
A single edge razor is the way to go. If that makes you uncomfortable, use a credit card. The razor works a lot better though. I put mine in a net breeder and had the return from a sponge filter emptying into it so it got fresh water circulation all the time until they hatched. I didn't want to use the return from the power filter as I assumed that would be too much current when the eggs hatched. I think mine too about a week to hatch then I gave them a day to use up the yolk and started feeding them hikari first bites. I have about 60 or so juvie cories now.

·
Registered
56 Posts
I picked some up a few weeks ago and they are still in the quarantine tank. Mine spawn about every 2 or 3 days and they always lay the eggs on the glass. I get 15-25 eggs per spawn. If I don't remove the eggs quickly, they get eaten. I use the "finger rolling" technique to remove the eggs and then I transfer them to a 2.5G w/ a sponge filter, heater, moss, & water from the breeding tank. My 1st 2 batches just hatched & batch #1 is just starting to eat microworms. I have a 5.5G ready for them once they are big enough.

I like Bandit's method of hatching the eggs, but you are going to need another tank for growing them out. I don't see any way around this.

·
Registered
1,945 Posts
Corydoras Eggs

never had corys breed before but now that they have I think I need to remove the eggs to a breeder box or net-- I have these dam beuons aris tetras that I know will make quick work of the eggs
Whats the safest way to remove them from the glass?
Hello bruce...

Use a credit card to remove the eggs. If you put the eggs in another tank, the water chemistry must be very similar to the chemistry in the first tank. The eggs, if fertile, will hatch in about three days.

If the pH in the tanks isn't pretty close to neutral 7, then the eggs probably won't hatch.

Just a couple of thoughts.

B

1 - 4 of 4 Posts