The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here I do everything in my power to irradicate them in my tanks. I pick them out and put them in containers, salt them, squish them (bake them in a pie, LOL, JK) If I don't they'll take over (then I have to net whole gobs of them :angryfire ). They don't seem to do anything but eat fish food and some plants either. Why would people buy them???

Of course I did shell out some good money on nerites after I saw how clean an anubia came to me! Trouble is, they're similar color to some ramshorns so I'll have to double check before squishing any small snail I catch!

Tina

·
Registered
558 Posts
They seem to do a fair job of cleaning up excess food, dead plant matter and other stuff. I have some along with pond snails and MTS none of them seem to bother any health plants. Someone gave be a bunch of the ramshorn and I see them usually offered for just slightly over the cost of shipping in the SnS. Some of the more unusual colors bring a little bit of money.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I have always sought out the redest of red ramshorns. They are very interesting inhabitants. I even save as many as I can during water changes and surface skimmings. But then again I never intentionally kill anything. I even trap and release spiders and other insects that I find in the house......

IMO snails play a very important role in a planted tank as they are constantly cleaning.

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
I've sent out a couple hundred Ramshorns to people over the past few months. Why? I'd rather sell them for the price of shipping then flushing them down the toilet. One person just wanted some for looks, the rest for fish food (puffers love them!).

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm, I've got some really red ones too, maybe I should save them? There are certain plants they congregate on though, they seemed to hang out on my grass ground cover :(

Tina

·
Registered
319 Posts
If you want to send gobs of them my way I will gladly pay shipping. I have 4 Pufferfish, 2 Dwarf Puffers and 2 Green Spotted Puffers. I depleted my snail population in about 2 weeks, and now I actually need MORE snails. PM me if you are willing to send me some. Please! :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
If you want to send gobs of them my way I will gladly pay shipping. I have 4 Pufferfish, 2 Dwarf Puffers and 2 Green Spotted Puffers. I depleted my snail population in about 2 weeks, and now I actually need MORE snails. PM me if you are willing to send me some. Please! :)
Yewww, watch out what you wish for ;). I had a whole Cosco cookie box full last week before I nuked them! (those would have been 8 very fat, happy puffers) I did a pretty good job irradicating them last week but if I get a good amount worth shipping I'll keep you in mind ;). Lately after my last onslaught I've been picking out about 10-20 a day ;).

Tina

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
All it took was one striped loach to eliminate red ramshorns from my 65. I really didn't want that, as I like them and they do a good job keeping things cleaned up.

Nerites are great for keeping things cleaned up, but they lay these really unattractive white eggs on all the plants that don't hatch in fresh water.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
People actually buy MTS on ebay (OMG) seller even stated they were rare lol If they were rare id be a BILLIONAIRE!
LOL, me too! Not only that they eat all the food that I leave for my Plecos and multiply! The bucket full came from my pleco tanks!

(when I was more naive, I did get some MTS (big mistake), learned and run the other way now! ;)).

I just thought it was funny when I saw ramshorn snails listed on the price list along with my nerites ;).

Tina

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
LOL, me too! Not only that they eat all the food that I leave for my Plecos and multiply! The bucket full came from my pleco tanks!

(when I was more naive, I did get some MTS (big mistake), learned and run the other way now! ;)).

I just thought it was funny when I saw ramshorn snails listed on the price list along with my nerites ;).

Tina
I had that problem when I had a common plec(I know stupid). I had to put 2 algae flakes for the pleco and the snails.

Whats wrong with MTS. I have some in my soon to be SouthEast Asian Black water community tank.

That is funny. Petsmart has them for free.

·
Registered
2,602 Posts
the snails in my 90g disappeared when I added clown loaches, but my shrimp tank has pond snails and a few ramshorns multiplying like mad. I just threw some away last night. lol. All you need is one and you can potentially have hundreds in a matter of months...or even weeks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
All you need is one and you can potentially have hundreds in a matter of months...or even weeks.
Does that include MTSes? I got one recently in a trade and want more. Yeah, I'm still a naive newbie, so maybe I'll learn my lesson before this is done. ;) But for now, I really like that one and have read good things about them stirring up and cleaning the substrate.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Does that include MTSes? I got one recently in a trade and want more. Yeah, I'm still a naive newbie, so maybe I'll learn my lesson before this is done. ;) But for now, I really like that one and have read good things about them stirring up and cleaning the substrate.
Hmmmm, wait about a month then turn on your lights suddenly at night ;)

Tina

·
Registered
2,924 Posts
Hmmmm, wait about a month then turn on your lights suddenly at night ;)

Tina
But thats kind of good dont ya think. There curtious enough to to stay in/on the gravel during the day(almost invisible if you ask me) and at night they clean up what ever they can. I want my population to grow so I can start a little Malaysian trumpet snail farm house hehe.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
You must be doing some serious over-feeding. The snail population is directly dependent upon the food supply. Too many snails? Feed less. Few snails? Feeding is about right. :proud:
When you have 100+ pleco babies, that's a lot of wafers/greens that they need to grow ;). Unfortunately, it grew the snails too.

Tina

·
Registered
1,930 Posts
The problem with some people is when you feed your shrimp, you also feed your snails. Really, really hard (if not impossible) to get around that.

Same goes with people like tpl*co said, those who have plecos feed both the plecos and snails at the same time.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.