The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
i have an ist dl and k10d. the k100d is perfect for someone that wants a consumer oriented dslr.

the kit lens is crap, but performs alright stopped down. i'd buy the body and the FA 50mm f1.4 prime to start. if you like manual focus, you can get the M f1.7 for around $30-40 on ebay usually. the A series usually goes for the same price, but the M is much better in my experience (too many 50mm primes hehe).

the shake reduction on the k100d is only good for about 1.5-2 stops; which is still very useful and it applies to any lens. the k10d is good for about 3-3.5 stops.

·
Registered
467 Posts
if you just want macro mode focusing (not 1:1), almost any lens with a tight mtf will do what you want. try to stay with lenses that have 8 blades, or the bokeh won't be smooth; even then some just have harsh bokeh.

the D FA 100mm macro is af, but it's got that super smooth (pentax) bokeh, and the ideal performance peaks for a macro. wide open it's pretty meh, but who shoots macros wide open? :)

http://www.photodo.com/topic_43.html

·
Registered
87 Posts
I have an *ist DS. The K100D is a good entry-level DSLR, especially with the built-in image stabilization. The kit lens is actually pretty decent compared to other kit lenses offered by Canon or Nikon. For quality macro lenses, you'll have to spend a decent amount ($500+) but as attack11 mentioned, some of the older Pentax glass are excellent and the third-party lenses are decent. For more specific info or to ask questions, check out Pentaxforums.com (I'm a moderator over there.)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.