The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I'm a longtime reader and lurker, but given that I am just beginning to put together my next tank I thought I would ask for some advice. I do have experience in large low tech setups, but honestly, this is going to be a different animal I think.

First off, what I want is a corner pentagon shaped aquarium (If not this something like it). I plan to go low tech and I'm getting completely away from my schooling fish I normally have in my tanks. I've absolutely fallen in love with the Peruvian altums (Yes, I know they're not altums), and I'd like to build a South American cichlid aquarium around them. Besides the angels my plan is for a group of Bolivian rams (another favorite) and an easier type of apisto (A. cacatuoides or A. agassizii). Nothing else, I'm thinking, besides these three species.

The actual plan is to stack a stump and rocks against the corner and plant the two large Amazon swords that are bursting out of my 55 gallon around those rocks and stumps. Maybe some java moss and small crypts if I can make it work. Nothing fancy, though.

My questions are basically:
1.) Will this mix of fish work? I've kept angels and rams before, but never in breeding situations. Would the tank be simply too aggressive during spawning?
2.) How would I go about lighting this thing? I thought about a single Kessil Tuna Sun to spotlight over the swords (leaving the sides clear of plants), but that seems way overkill for maintaining a low tech setup.

Ideas, theories, and insults?

·
Registered
2,862 Posts
How many gallon tank? Dimensions (for lighting and enough space for proper fish territories)? Sure it's a pent and not a hexagon (more common)?

EDIT: lol nvm, I just now saw the link...so 90 gallons?

·
Registered
231 Posts
90 gallon pentagon. The back corner is a 90 degree angle, so the drift wood needs to shaped to fit. This one leaves a space behind for fish to hide..

Lighting is a 30 dollar fixture from Home Depot, with a screw in LED spot. Only plant is the Java fern.

Bump: Oops older photo without the Java fern.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
I wouldn't mix diverse sized, breeding ciclids in the same community tank.

It can be done, but I just wouldn't.

I've had a pair of Goldeneye Nannacara Ciclids raise a brood in their 29 gallon community tank. Dwarf Ciclid moms are psychotic and will make life really tough for any of their tankmates, no matter how big.

·
Registered
1,261 Posts
I follow paducahfishfan on youtube, and I think he has a bigger tank than yours. He has rams with other fish that breed and he has to take the other fish out when they do, or lose some pieces of fish. You will probably want to follow that method and keep another tank ready. Unfortunately, the bad attacks seem to happen at night or when no one is looking. The rams sucked the eye off his puffer, and did damage to some other fish as I recall in one of his videos.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
90 gallon pentagon. The back corner is a 90 degree angle, so the drift wood needs to shaped to fit. This one leaves a space behind for fish to hide..

Lighting is a 30 dollar fixture from Home Depot, with a screw in LED spot. Only plant is the Java fern.

Bump: Oops older photo without the Java fern.
Interesting idea, do you think it would support the swords I mentioned? I've never actually dealt with a tank potentially this deep before, so I'm looking to figure out the lighting beforehand.

And Gramps, even with close to 36 inches deep? I'm really set on the angels, but I'd like to figure out something I could put in with them that won't get knocked around when they spawn too. I figured dwarf cichlids hanging out near the bottom would be a little more out of their view.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Don't know if my fixture would be sufficient for the sword plants. I would characterize the light level as low to medium. Depending on what you put in the fixture, you probably could up the light level

Bump: As for mixing the breeding cichlids, YMMV. I had large central and South Americans in a 240, and had both salvini, Oscar and managuense fry in the tank at the same time. Dk how that worked, but no deaths, no injuries. One can always try, but be prepared for possible negative outcomes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know if my fixture would be sufficient for the sword plants. I would characterize the light level as low to medium. Depending on what you put in the fixture, you probably could up the light level
I've never messed with CFLs, to be honest, but I should probably try it before buying an expensive Kessil, shouldn't I?

Bump: As for mixing the breeding cichlids, YMMV. I had large central and South Americans in a 240, and had both salvini, Oscar and managuense fry in the tank at the same time. Dk how that worked, but no deaths, no injuries. One can always try, but be prepared for possible negative outcomes.
Well, to be fair, this is all for a planned move coming later this year. My plan is to establish a few racks of 40 breeders. 4 tanks or so, including moving my current 55 occupants to one. I will have the tank space.

Still, I'd like a tank that works over one where fish may potentially be harmed. I am also very open to suggestions on what might work with those angels.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.