The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, so I have a turtle tank and I have a canister filter, I just cleaned the entire tank and noticed that there is an unusual amount of air (that should not be there) in the top of the canister. I have tried tilting it to get the air out, but there's still a lot of air left. I'm not too sure on how the priming thing works, but can I push the priming button when the filter is still plugged in and working?? I don't know what I have to do but I don't want to have to get water out and do like a partial water change. Is there anyone who knows how I can get the air out? Thanks

·
Registered
12,428 Posts
Air in canisters is one of those old problems which tend to be simple----if we don't make it hard by how we do the restart!
Not sure of your situation , of course but let me throw in some ideas that may fit you or not? We all have different experience and ideas that change things but there are some general ideas on restarting cans that I find work. First check the manual to see if it has a specific method to restart as they do normally know best, but if no answer there, go for some general things to check.

I think your filter will be one which water from the tank goes to the bottom and works it's way up before going back to tank. So when restarting, start with the can empty and then in some way get water into the line from the tank to the can. Do you have valves which let you fill the line before connecting to the can and then open the valve? If you set up a situation where the incoming line is full but a valve is holding the water from going into the can, then you make sure all the output line back to the tank is open, you are almost guaranteed to make a siphon when you open that last valve. Do make sure the intake is in the tank water! The water going down to the can will pull more from the tank and fill the can from bottom to top as it pushes the air out the outgoing line and finally as all the air is above the water rising in the can until the water level reaches the same level as the tank water.

There is one item to mention and check which may stop this! If the output line from the can has a droop in it that has water in the droop, there are times when the incoming water may not push the air past he standing water, so make sure there are no droops in that line which can act as a "plug". Air very easily goes up through water but not if is has to go down before going up!

Once you have the intake, can, and output all nearly full of water, plug the filter in and all is has to do is move the water the slight height between tank water level and enough to get over the tank edge. Keep in mind that the filter impeller will not pump air very well, so doin gthe refill in this way is one way to help it get water to pump.

One of the biggest mistakes new users make with cans may work for some tanks but eventually they will get into a situation where their failure to follow the directions will come back to haunt them. Unless the directions for some specific filter says to fill the can first, DON'T because it will eventually come back to bite you!
It's a very odd fellow who knows more than the folks who design and built canisters!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts