The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello fellow TPT'ers,

UPDATE 10/15/11 Thanks for [email protected]@king!
Please excuse the cruddy iPhone picture quality...

UPDATE: 11/22/11

ALSO FIRST BERRIED RCS! 11/22/11

UPDATE 12/19/11

Tank is progressing along nicely...
1. I now have little shrimpies of RCS which is AWESOME! Also pretty much every female I see is berried now!
if you look under the berried female RCS, you can see a tiny little shrimpling!

2. I had a female berried RCS die and I tried to artificially hatch, AND IT WORKED! 4 more little shrimpies that survived!

3. My FIRST CRS is now BERRIED~! AWESOME!

·
Registered
782 Posts
Great start :) As for your water.... unless your tap is safe (unlike mine) I would go with just R/O and use mosura mineral plus or the Fluval liquid that will boost up your GH to around 5.

A GH of 5 is the sweet spot. If you trust your tap, then I would start on working out the right ratio of tap to R/O water % mix. Your HOB is fine but I would put a spong on the intake.... or some fine netting, pantyhose or any shrimp safe cap that will prevent any babies from getting sucked up. Or like you said, wire mesh.

The light seems fine for mosses or any low light plant.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input Scipio!
I am going to test the water tomorrow and fudge with it and all, this HOB filter has been running non stop for near 3 months now and the bacterial colony should be well established but I digress. I will be adding more stuff in the tank, planning on more plants especially moss. I may put in this tree like thing I have in my planted tank which I tried to construct a tree like thing.

I will experiment to get a GH of around 0.

What exactly is ideal CRS water parameters?
I'm guessing:
PH- Slightly acidic 6.5-7.0
Ammonia/Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - 0?
KH 1-2
GH 5

Random good news on my planted tank: first time I've seen plants pearling in my tanks!

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thank you shrimp! you have a beautiful shrimp planted tank!

I am planning on adding a moss wall composed of xmas moss.
I have a large moss wall growing in nicely in my 40 gal planted tank.
and some wood with moss tied on, preferably flame moss, I love the look of flame moss on driftwood.

·
Premium Member
706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TY TY
I am glad I left my hob filter running on my aquaponics tank, kept the bacteria alive and well. The two guppies I have in the shrimp tank and healthy and thriving.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.