The Planted Tank Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I'm new to all of this. I plan to have a 20 gallon tank that will be light to medium planted with fish as the main focus. I have a 65W Coralife 50/50 strip, but I'm still looking for a filter to make for an excexx waste the plants don't get.

I've read that Pengium filter are bad due to the bio-wheel. but also I've read that this can be exargerrated. However, I wonder if the bias can be due to old Pengiun filters. Were the old Pengiun filters similar to the Aqua-tech filters that Marineland makes for Wal-mart? (If you haven't seen them, they're somewhat similar in appearance to the Eheim Liberty) Could the openess have lead to the CO2 loss as well as the bio-wheel? The Pengium filter I saw now have curved hood on them that seem to direct the water more directly into the tank, would this reduced CO2 loss?

If Penguins are still bad, what do you recommend? Since I'm new, I have no experience with canister filters which seems to be the preference. It would also be good if I can get it from Petsmart for a price match.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Genaro

·
Registered
1,507 Posts
I ran an Emperor 400 before I got my Eheim. I found no difference in anything bad with or without the Biowheels- No increase in CO2 loss, no increase/decrease of ammonia, nitrites or nitrates.

Tommy

·
Registered
26 Posts
If you want to try a canister filter go to petsmart.com and print out the online price for a Rena Filstar Xp1-4 (get the one suitable for the size tank you have). Then, print out the coupon found here: http://www.petsmart.com/landing/Rena/?cm_ven=Google&cm_cat=adwords&cm_pla=rena&cm_ite=filstar+filter

Take that in to the store, have them pricematch to their online store. Then hand them the instore coupon you printed out. The Xp3 for $81 is a great deal but might be more filter than you need. The coupon is good through the 25th.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.